OT: Retraining & Trades?

Hi,

A bit off topic, but I'm looking to retrain and get a trade. Looking at training as an electrician or a plasterer with a view to self employment. I have friends who are time served in both trades, and have work shadowed them both, however looking for some unbias advice.

Any Electricians or Plasterers with some wise words of advice?

Cheers,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Two years ago I retrained as an electrician and love it. I was completely non-handy and the guy most likely to call for help changing a fuse. I considered plastering, plumbing and sparkes and decided on the latter on the basis that everyone else was retraining as plumbers (future over supply of plumbers leading to cut in rates).

I did the relevant courses C&G 2360/1, got a job and have just completed 2360/2.

I get to see the results of my work every day (as oppossed to my previous job in recuitment) and feel like I'm doing a real job.

Pay not bad for a newbie, prospects excellent and there is always the opportunity to do private work.

Working on site I've met a few plasterers and for the most part they say it's not a job you can get old doing. It's messy (obviously) and doesn't require much thinking power (no offence to any plasterers out there).

I'm sure I've been lucky getting in with a good company and getting training, especially as I was 40 when I got the job.

Good luck

lsd

Reply to
lsd