Mixer taps

Hi

How do I fix this leak on my tap?

I'm a bit worried about how tight the nuts are one the tap, I've tried loosening the nuts but they seem to be fixed! The left tap is the problem, if I push inward on the spindle ("the toothed bit the tap pushes on to") the leak stops, so I'm assuming it's a worn washer inside, but as I said I can't undo the damn thing. Or is it a sealed unit?

Piccys

p.mc

The nuts aren't fixed - merely seized in place. A Mole wrench is not the ideal tool - a proper hex ring spanner won't slip.

If it were me, I'd climb up onto the sink and stand on the spanner..

Reply to
Palindrome

...bear in mind if you try what Sue suggests, if its REALLY badly stuck, you might just bend the stainless steel sink before it gives!

May be worth a spray around where the brass nut bit joins the body of the tap using penetrating fluid (the sort of stuff you use to free rusty nuts like WD40) and leave it a few days.

If all else fails, take tap off sink and stick it in a vice or workmate and take a big spanner and lump hammer to it(I've had to resort to this from time to time).

HTH

Midge

They are probably just stuck with age. I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs but if it is the left hand tap as shown in your second picture remember the spanner will need to be pushed away from you. I would get a good fitting ring spanner and give it a couple of sharp taps with a hammer to crack it. Don't obviously batter it to death as you will probably break the tap and flood the place!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

The Fly

That is for 100 though, so only 3.5p each. That qty is really for the trade not DIY. If you go to B&Q, Homebase, local hardware shop etc, they will sell you a smaller qty (3 or 5 maybe) but the individual price will be higher than 3.5p obviously.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

98p for 5 at B&Q.
Reply to
Phil

"Thanks all"...Tee hee!! I never noticed the amont. [:-(I)

)
Reply to
p.mc