A really bad piece of work.

Take a look at.

was perhaps the most dangerous piece of gas fitting I have directly seen to date. What was really concerning was that the bayonet had become unlatched and was just the grip of a sticky O-ring away from a very large escape of gas.

A Riddor will be submitted. There may be an investigation...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If the bayonet connector is on that end, what have they got on the other end of the flexible pipe?

Reply to
John Rumm

Doesn't removing the bayonet turn off the gas? It does on mine. Before the O ring seal breaks too.

Reply to
dennis

Ed Sirett coughed up some electrons that declared:

Wonder if the same person makes mains extension leads with plugs on both ends...

Given the number of adaptors in the picture, and the fact that he wasn't short of PTFE, what do you think possessed him to not just screw the other end of the hose on to the appliance in the first place?

Is there any indication if it's paid for work or diy'er on crack?

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Oh my God !!! As John Rumm has asked. What is holding the other end of the flexible tubing? I suppose this was an unofficial installation? Surely, it must be. And for the sake of a quarter turn, it could have been a lovely disaster. Thankfully, in a way, it is on an appliance that does not move about much.

It wouldn't be anywhere near Wigan, would it?

Reply to
BigWallop

Speaking of which:

"The massive explosion which tore through a block of Wigan flats WAS caused by gas. Fire investigators are satisfied that the blast at Blake Close, Worsley Mesnes, was due to an escape of gas in the flat. The source of the escape and its cause has not been determined but the fire department's findings have been reported to Greater Manchester Police, who are carrying out their own investigations.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue said: "We can confirm that the blast was caused by a leakage of gas, ignited by a source within the premises. "The fire investigation has been conducted and police have been briefed on the findings.""

(It feels like Have I Got News For You, quoting from obscure publications with vaguely amusing titles.)

I guess a digital camera has become an essential tool for gas fitters - and probably many others - these days?

Reply to
Rod

The other end which is 1/2" male went into an (unsecured) wall plate elbow.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Unregistered builder/kitchen fitters.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The whole things is reversed i.e. Bayonet is on cooker and plain end on supply (instead of bayonet elbow).

I suppose this was an unofficial installation?

Not even the 1/4 turn just a few mm of movement held by friction of an O- ring. I got called in because the cooker had stopped because the self sealing had blocked the supply into the cooker.

No, London N10.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Makes you wonder how many of the wall cabinets stayed up...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ed Sirett coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hope the book gets thrown at them...

And there's me who worries about doing gas work because I'm not sure which flux is correct (ie not going to eat the pipe away in 5 years[1]) or if jointing compound should be used in certain cases...

[1] I might as well ask now it's come up - is Fluxite (old fashioned brown stuff) considered gas safe, together with a 60/40 solder?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

It was certainly the stuff that dad used to "liberate" from EMGAS stock for plumbing at home.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Since several have asked - the other end.

"Gas Installer" has a section call "Eye Spy" which publishes the most staggering examples of creative gas use. If selected they give prizes like combustion analysers or locking pipe carriers.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

floor has the bayonet fitting at the top? So the other end of the flexi should be a straight bolt on to the pipe from the cooker? I presume all the unions/connectors used were there as they didnt have the right type of coupling to do a direct flexipipe to cooker pipe?

Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Reply to
Huge

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No! [throws book :-)]

It must be heat-activated flux like LaCo and Fernox stuff - should say on the tin that it's OK for gas work. AIUI the idea is that the flux is only corrosive (necessary to cut through crap on the surface to wet the metal with solder) when it's hot, so when it cools down any that's run inside the joint doesn't corrode the pipe from the inside (since of course you can't flush out your gas pipework as you can with water services[1].

For the same reason you must apply flux to the pipe only, and not inside the fitting.

And electrical solder would be out simply because it's not approved for gas work.

All sounds very pedantic and arse-covering, I know, but as I hope you see there is method in at least some of the madness.

I had to walk away from fitting a hob this week because it didn't have the manufacturer's instructions (or even a data plate) and was missing any fixing clamps. According to the customer (who'd bought it on the interweb) the MIs (which he's getting the seller to send) say that the hob is secured by the sealing strips. Sounds dodgy to me, but if that's what it says in the MIs then that's OK. However if I'd fitted it like that in the absence of instructions to that effect and there'd been any comeback I'd have had the book thrown at me. And why would there be any comeback? I don't know, but it can happen for unexpected reasons. I put a boiler in for someone in a flat and I ran the gas pipe at high level on a wall outside the flat to get into it. Some busybody in the residents' association took it upon themselves to winge about it to the freeholder's managing agents who got it inspected by another installer who covered his own arse by flagging up some sleeving where the pipework went through the wall as Not to Current Standards since (as he explained to me) he couldn't identify the material used for the sleeve so couldn't be sure it complied with the regs. I ended up spending about half a day chasing up that installer, writing to the agents, explaining the situation to the customer and so on.

[1] Don't even think of it: how are you going to dry it out? And be sure it's dried out?
Reply to
YAPH

It is unbelievable that this is still happening. I thought you lot talking about that Rogue Traders was just a laugh, but there really needs to be someone who can police these sorts of jobs. Not on a random basis, but have someone check it out after it's supposed to be complete.

I know you CORGI guys have to self police your works, but can't you get the job of following up on any kitchen installation / renovations etc? Because that is a killer waiting to happen.

As soon as I looked at the first photo' I thought, No, that can't be the back of the stove. Surely not. And now I see the second photograph of the elbow dangling in mid air, I realise that something really needs to be done about these real cowboys, before more Wigan explosions occur.

The Sparks shouted about the Part P building control requirement, but I think that gas installations and alterations should also be policed in the same way now. And it's cost cutting measures that are causing this to happen. Isn't it lucky that the self seal plunger wasn't damaged.

Good luck with it, by the way. And good luck with your competition entry, as well. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Look forward to seeing your snapshots in there Ed!

Reply to
YAPH

Reply to
YAPH