lightbulb not switching off

i got a new light shade and a ceiling rose from IKEA recently and taking down old ceiling rose discovered the cable supply was 2 black wires and 2 red wires going to housing with a seperate earth wire attached to the rose took off earth and attached it to new rose and wired up the new wires blue and brown to black and red switched light on, it stayed on even when it was switched off! I then switched wires blue, brown to red and black same thing still switched on. any ideas anyone e.g do i remove the earth? please help, wife is threatening to phone her supersonic brother-in-law and asking him for advice!

Reply to
frankie shelley

Its probably wired with one pair being the live feed to the light fitting, then the other pair the feed and return to the switch. Functional wiring would be red feed wire connected directly to red switch wire, then both black wires to the light.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

You have mixed up the live feed and the switch connection. Look for a red sleeve on one of the wires, this is switched.

I'm feeling nervous about you doing this work. This is fairly standard stuff.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Have you tried putting the reds and blacks in parallel yet?

Not a good idea.......

:o)

Reply to
Ian

If you have to ask, DON'T play with Electrics.

Reply to
Baz