Door Latches

80s link-detached home with brass door handles throughout, the type where you hold them like a lever and press them down rather than the twisty knob type.

The other day, there was a snap as I opened the drawing door, and the door handle has drooped ever since. I presumed a spring inside the latch had broken and went and got a replacement Yale A0507 tubular latch from B&Q, but the spring in that doesn't appear to work any better than the broken one.

Does anybody know whether I need a different type of latch or need to perform some little trick while fitting it (the instructions don't mention anything, just the obvious in making the cutouts/holes if the door & frame hasn't already got them, which of course they have)?

???

TIA

Reply to
Java Jive

Maybe it's the spring inside the handle rather than the one in the latch itself? Handles don't always have their own springs, but many do (in both handles). David

Reply to
DavidM

My first reaction was "Nah! There's not room in there for a spring!" but just to be sure, I rummaged in the garage for the lock washer tool and dismantled a handle. You're absolutely right, there was a broken spring in there!

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Java Jive

Java Jive wrote

I wish I could dismantle my 1930's door handles to get at the broken springs.

Oh, for the luxury of a being able to use a lock washer tool!

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Except I realised afterwards I meant circlip pliers (it's been a long time since I did anything seriously mechanical like rebuilding an engine).

Reply to
Java Jive

Java Jive wrote

's okay. I knew what you meant. ;)