More powerful tubular latch needed

I have a problem with door handles! We've changed 15 doors in a total house refurb, and the chosen door handles (lever type) don't have springs to return to horizontal and the tubular latch hasn't the guts to do the job. the latches fitted are :

handles are a forged pseudo antique ones as the doors are framed ledged and braced, and the plate that screws to the door has no depth to fit a spring. I've dismantled one of the latches, and although it is only a compression spring, it squashes to a very short length by being a double cone so a stronger replacement would have to be custom made. SO : are there more powerfully sprung tubular latches available????

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Never mind the spring:-)

How much did you pay for the doors?

I am looking to replace 2 cheapo internal ledged and braced pine doors with something more robust for possible future tenants.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim,

Too good for tenants! first grade pine, with virtually no knots, all jointed and supplied with 50mm thick door lining and door stop - £277 each but that was negotiated over a bulk lot of 15

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Hmm.. that's the sort of price I am finding without the door linings.

The idea is that these doors would control access to a *lettable* annexe which could also provide accommodation for a *live in* carer if needed. Note my confidence in future state geriatric care!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

50mm linings? Seems a bit OTT.

Our new 4 panel interior clear pine doors are engineered rather than solid. Pine veneer on the stiles and rails so no knots. Well made, good =

finish. I think they were less than =A3100 each, just the door.

The joiners supplied 'em so don't know the actual price or source (might= have been Hewdens). From what I remember they are of eastern european manufacture.

't really do them justice.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave,

They are going (have gone actually) in an old house (bits 1650) with no architrave, hence the 2" linings

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson