Moss on sea wall

Our sea wall is painted with snowcem and last done3 years ago. It has suddenly started to show moss growing up from the bottom, it is not growing on the side walls away from the sea. Should we just paint over it and rely on the lime in the snowcem to kill it off or should we treat it first, and if so would one of the commercial dairy cleaners be ok? Secondly is there any new type of spray equipment on the market at a reasonable price that would apply snowcem? TIA -Mick

Reply to
Mike

Dont know, but ...

It is an old trick to sprinkle lime on harbour steps and so forth whilst the tide is out. to prevent the formation of slime.

Perhaps you could make a solution of garden lime (i never tried disolving it myself) and spraying it on with a garden type sprayer.

Or perhaps presure wash it first to get rid of the worst, and then lime it?

I think this might be worthy of a bit of research.

As to spraying snowcem, i have no doubt the big airless sprayers they use in shipyards would handle it. The toy ones in the yacht yards probably not. You are obviously near the sea, but your other local facilities are not obvious.

What is wrong with old fashioned lime wash put on with a big brush??

Reply to
John

I would apply moss killer first then paint over once the vegetation is dead and been brushed off. I don't know what a commercial dairy killer is, I would use a moss killer such as

Regarding spray equipment suitable for Snowcem, if this is for occasional use only I would enquire at a tool hire centre.

Reply to
DIY

No facilities here I aam afraid just a standard tool hire shop. I'll try the pressure waher though as I am just finishing doing the courtyard so the gears out and ready, just got to couple two hoses together if I can find the fittings. The limewash is ok but doesn't last very long and I was hoping to build up a good layer with the snowcem to help protect the wall long term. Mick

Reply to
Mike