Combi- Boiler

Mine has just broke. (to use the technical term).

Well, it's stopped working anyway. The lights come on and it makes a noise but after about thirty seconds the noise stops and a red light comes on.

No heating, no hot water.

It has a pressure gauge pointing at zero. What the hell does that mean (other than there is no pressure) and how on earth do I make the bugger work again?

Please help. I've had to ship the wean off to the inlaws where she is picking up all sorts of bad habbits.

-- Den

Reply to
denbowan

May help, but the question is did the system reach empty by natural means or is there a problem that emptied it out.

Try repressuring it and see what happens.

Do not exceed about 0.75 to 1.0 Bar maximum repressure.

Reply to
EricP

Much appreciated. Since I never knew to keep an eye on the pressure and i've just repressurised it for the first time in the three years I've had it, I'm assuming it was by normal means; though I will be keeping a close eye on it from now on. Once every two years at least. ;)

Am I a plumber now?

Cheers!

-- Den

Reply to
DenBowan

If the pressure was released by a problem it will soon be back to zero and you will not have to wait 2 years.

Not unless you charged yourself £50 to repressure the system.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Bugger. £70. I seen me coming.

-- Den

Reply to
DenBowan

As much as anybody. :)

Now having got pressure in it you must check it every day for the first few weeks as it will lose a bit of pressure due to air in the water being driven out by heating. It should settle down to a constant pressure over a few days, and this should be obvious.

If it promptly empties itself out overnight I am afraid you will have to call Mr Plumber.

Reply to
EricP