Combi boiler with no pressure gauge?

A friend has an Ideal Logic+ combi boiler which is displaying the message, "Low Water pressure." The boiler has stopped supplying hot water and will not respond to a restart.

I talked her through the process of topping up the pressure and pointed her towards a YouTube video on the subject, but she's come back to me with the news that she can't find a pressure gauge.

Several online illustrations and guides show this particular boiler with a pressure gauge fitted beneath the casing as part of the external pipework rather than integrated into the front panel, but my friend is adamant that she has looked in all the possible locations and found nothing at all.

Surely it's not likely that the installation was made without a pressure gauge?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Is it possible that it has a header tank? Can't really see why not, but you'd need a fair height I guess.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Are you confident she's looked literally /under/ the casing? I've seen one where the gauge was invisible looking square on; you had to kneel down and look up, behind the front edge of the base.

Would a polite request for photos of the pipework around and underneath the case would be a tactful way of checking?

Reply to
Robin

...or even a model number.

Reply to
Max Demian

Thanks for the replies. No, there's definitely no header tank. I can only agree that the pressure gauge has been fitted so far out of sight that it's practically invisible. I've suggested the taking of a few photos.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I don't suppose one might be on the detachable filler pipe and that as she's not found one around the boiler, she's not got the filler pipe out yet?

Reply to
Steve Walker

A good theory, so thanks, but slightly scuppered by the fact that the filler pipe (with no pressure gauge) is permanently fitted. In fact, all the online illustrations and videos of this particular boiler show a fixed filler pipe as part of the installation.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Does her installation have a separate pressure vessel, as opposed to one in the boiler? Our system had one below the pressure vessel, with two taps and a permanently-connected rather that loose flexible filling loop. That had the pressure gauge immediately below the pressure tank, so you could see the pressure changing as water was added to boost the pressure. In our case, the boiler was outside but the pressure vessel and gauge were inside. So hers could be anywhere in the house where there's pipework... Maybe in an airing cupboard.

Reply to
NY

Success. My friend reports that the elusive pressure gauge has been found, not only well tucked away but also modestly hiding behind a couple of cables.

Normal pressure, and hence hot water, has now been restored. I'll advise her to check the radiators in case any bleeding is required.

Many thanks for all the thoughts.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks for the thought but your post overlapped with mine saying that the pressure gauge has now been found: tucked (well) out of the way at the base of the boiler.

Reply to
Bert Coules