3D Printing

Read a very naive comment about the Vulcan Bomber in response to him being told that parts were no longer available for the engines and airframe. He suggested the original manufacturers could 3D Print some new parts!!!!

Reply to
JohnP

Clive Arthur

It would depend on the part though and of course the 3D printer itself they aren't all the same. The airframe sounds possible but I'd doubt much could be 3D printed for an engine.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Don't be so sure:

Steve Walker

Obviously parts could be made one way or another for old kit. At a given point however one has to ask why. My aviation buff friend made a surprising comment about the recent sea fury crash - there aren't enough people around who know how, or enough spare parts to properly maintain a Bristol Centaurus engine'

And after research he was ( as he mainly is), completely right - there are at best half a dozen or a dozen in the world in working condition. That engine had the misfortune to be a very late WWII design just at the point that jet engines were making nonsense of the applications it could be used in.

Compared with pre war or early war engines like the DH gypsy series or RR Merlin.

The vulcan's jets are completely obsolete, and the cost of maintaining one in airworthy condition is horrendous

Its a highly complex plane - not like a Sopwith Camel!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes indeed. More conventionally, 3d printing Inconel

I think SpaceX use this technique in their Raptor rocket engine.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

But is this 3D printing as most know it? Or simply using the name for a new manufacturing process?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in news:sacsmu$hgv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Interesting article.

Reply to
JohnP

I used 3D printed titanium parts about 15 years ago, I don't know how new it was but that's what they called it.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

That would depend upon what the parts are, but, using direct laser sintering, parts can be 3D printed in, among other metals, stainless steel, bronze, aluminium and titanium. It can also be used to create moulds for casting a wide variety of metals.

Reply to
nightjar

I don't call welding printing and which is what I meant by what we call 3D printing. It's rather like calling Van goth (or any other painter) a 3D printer because what he painted as layers of paint could be considered a 3D printed image.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Quite. CAD, but not what most would call printing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They are fusing a layer at a time on. Is it so different from a resin printer creating and fusing a new layer with light? Or even a filament printer fusing a new layer of filament on top?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Besides there are structural and other design criteria that I'd suggest could not be matched using the technology at the moment. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There is one company, that is printing entire rockets using metal 3D printing. They're also printing the rocket engine.

It's possible the turbopumps aren't 3D printed, but much of the rest of it is.

One of the limitations of their 3D printer, is the robot arms have limited reach. Their 3D printer is not exactly a scaled up version of a hobby printer.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:sahik9$mu6$1 @dont-email.me:

Exactly Brian. The grain flow in a forging - and most rotating parts were forged - was a major consideration and one reasone why replacement parts cannot be made by a 3rd party and the dies and presses have all gone. (I once used to machine dies for blades)

Reply to
JohnP

Only ten years after the Lancaster though. I find that slightly mind-boggling.

Reply to
newshound

Even keeping a Lanc in the air is a challenge...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher