Blocked downpipe

Hi any advice welcome, please recommend a company in sheffield area, I live in a maisonette high up , downpipe from kitchen sink empties verrry slowly. Tried three bottles of Domestos drain cleaner , no improvement. Tried bleach, hot water. A hose pipe goes down about 12 feet till hits 'u' bend. Will a CCTV survey help and much would it cost? Thanks for any usefull advice. :-)

Reply to
Keith

Can you get at the other end of the pipe, or is it plumbed directly into the stack?

If you can, you can temporarily block the pipe up with clean water and see if the sink level drops overnight. If it doesn't, it should be safe to fill the whole pipe with cleaner solution and leave it overnight.. If it does, well, only mostly clean water will have escaped.

Otherwise, it would help if you can identify what other pipes go into the stack and whether they have problems. The problem may not be in the sink run at all.

Sometimes the problem just comes down to a badly designed run. I've known people stick in something like a sanivite pump after getting a blockage unblocked, rather than get the pipe run redone. Seems to work..

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

We had exactly the same problem with our soilstack, it wasn't until I refitted both our bathroom & kitchen that the cause of the problem was revealed.

Where our pipework entered the stack, a hard crud had developed ( it looked & felt like pummice stone). It was created by a mixture of grease, soap powder & limescale. With the existing pipework removed, I was able to literally chisel the crud off.

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

Reply to
Footsek

If you live in a maisonette, do you pay a service charge? If you do, it might be covered by the service charge.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Does your maisonette belong to the Housing Association that took over from the Sheffield City Council....? If it does, just report it, they will come and rectify any problems James (ex Sheffield)

Reply to
the_constructor