Block paving on drive

I found the sand to be a waste of time. In summer loads of ants worked hard taking all the sand out. I brushed dry cement in and that stuck to their legs and they did not come back. When the rains came the cement hardened and helped to keep the weeds away. I use a spray on weed killer for the determined weeds.

Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

I'm tempted to try using cement once the paving has dried out next summer. Did you find any problems with staining of the block surfaces when it rained for the first time. Many on my blocks are charcoal and I would want to keep them that colour. TIA Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When the blocks were nice and dry, I carefully put the cement in the gaps upto just below the top of the blocks. Any bits that were on the blocks I swept clear with a soft broom. I have charcoal blocks as well. I have found that my snow covered drive clears quicker than others in my road who have brick coloured blocks. I suppose the dark colour heats up quicker? Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have a large area (about 70 sq m) to cover so will start in an unobtrusive area and distribute it with a soft broom. Life is too short to fill gaps individually.

My frontage is mainly reddish bricks with bays bordered with charcoal and I have not noticed the dark ones thawing quicker. One or two blocks did stay snow covered when others were thawing so I wonder if it is to with thermal contact to the ground below?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin