Beware Sto render and service.

Mr Turtill,

I thank you for the e-mail and pictures you sent.

I have looked into this matter, and regret to advise you that, as you were not our client on this project, for contractual reasons I am unable to discuss this matter directly with you.

May I suggest that you address your concerns directly either with the building owner or with the Main Contractor who managed the project.

Regards Keith Trew

----------------------------------------------------- From: Keith Trew; Sto Ltd.; GB-Paisley PA3 3 BQ Department: Administration Phone: +44-15 05-32 42 62 Fax: +44-15 05-32 36 18 Web Site:

&
Limited - Registered as a Limited company in Scotland : SC76742 Registered Office Unit 3, Lyon Road, Linwood Ind Estate, Paisley. PA3

3BQ

We do own the building and the main contractor says it is a feature of Sto render they cannot help. The main contractor R G Carter (Ipswich) Ltd nailed the insulation to a backing board and their sub-contractor Retrofit Ltd slapped the render on top and now the nails show through where the heat escapes and Sto says it is nothing to do with them just as Carters do. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Peter Turtill

Sounds to me like this is not exactly a diy matter. Have you considered posting in uk.legal?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Your contract is with the people you asked to do the work (carter), not their subs or the material suppliers. This is in accordance with what you have been told (it would appear)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not yet as they are all posting about bombs in London. However it is a DIY issue as some DIY folks do replace the render on their house so they should know about this catastrophe if they are also thinking of using Sto materials:-( pete

Reply to
Peter Turtill

Yes I agree but Carters called Sto in and they gave it a clean bill of health. How can I argue against that? pete

Reply to
pete

You could start by talking with Trading Standards. If necessary, move on to talking with a solicitor. Things might be easier if you haven't paid yet.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The main contractor has received their money from the council as the work was done under a government grant. Care & Repair have also received their 11% of the total price and I cannot afford a solicitor:-( pete

Reply to
pete

Hum, are you the customer or the council I wonder? You could tell the council the work is unsatisfactory and ask them to get it resolved.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I thought I had engaged Care & Repair to handle everything and they did organise the tenders and the appointment of R G Carter (Ipswich) Ltd. Care & Repair say it is Carters problem, Carters say there is nothing wrong and Sto have backed them up. Each time I ask the council to become involved they say they have paid the money and that is the end of their responsibility unless I sell the house then I have to refund the grant. I am now awaiting a call from Trading Standards sometime this week with luck, to see if they can help. pete

Reply to
pete

Each time you reply, the relationships between the parties get more complicated. Without reading your contracts/agreements, I can't tell who is responsible for ensuring the work is satisfactory. I think you are going to have to take all the paperwork to someone (Citizens Advice, a solicitor free 30 minute session, or similar) and get some legal advice.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Trading standards said I should write to Care and Repair, Carters and the council grants department. I have done this long ago without success as the grants lady works for Care and Repair one day a week:-( pete

Reply to
pete