Race you to the top

For some reason when you first mentioned this thing that old web joke about the guy with the barrel of bricks came to mind........

Reply to
Don

30 stories - the article stated 30 stories. Hell of a Lull! *I erred.*

BTW lul is a Dutch word for penis. The Dutch have great slang. kuttelikkertje ? a small dog for ladies note literally : small pussy licker

I'll never type LOL again without remembering that. :-)

Once you set a piton, do you station a man at each one to make sure they stay anchored? No, you do it right the first time. Your life depends on it and that's pretty fair dinkum motivation for most people.

I didn't say piton, I said rope.

Reply to
Don

All the workers should be wearing swiss seats with the contraption on the front, then they could just walk up to the cable, hook-up, hit the button and, whoooosh........

Personally, I think an anti-gravity device would have much more benefit.

Reply to
Don

Agreed except, we already have megabucks in fire escapes, fire proof doors, extinguishers etc. (you fella's know better than I, that list). Rico since it's your thread, you may have had a reason to think the electric pulley thing to be a good tool. The cost of these deployable ropes, would be about 1% of the total of the fire proofing.

Depends on how high a fire truck ladder reachs. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Rope is what you use to tie down the crap you pile on your car coming back from the big box store. Lines are what sailors and climbers use. Sailors pee in the head, climbers pee _on_ your head. See the difference?

Since it's my thread, and I have power of life and death over all that tread this thread, I hereby direct you to develop your idea. I would think some type of modular box with explosive bolts...okay, maybe not explosive bolts, but at least remote control deployment. Fire fighter on the ground, hit the DEPLOY button and watch the _line_ unreel down the side of the building.

Now. You've got the line, what do you do with it? Is it a static line or does it incorporate the climbing device as well?

Reply to
RicodJour

Just have robots do all of it while everyone else drinks beer. Fembots would be even better!

Reply to
Secretia Green

A Workers' Paradise!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Secretia Green"> wrote

Wif big, pointy, chrome titties designed by Julie Bell.

Reply to
Don

No prob, is today to soon?

The fire department could have the climbers.. This is post 9/11 skyscaper architecture theory. Likely I could get a reliable product for $10k installed, ok, and you have 10 of them, so that's $100k added to a $billion dollar skyscraper. ((I'm still hearing that horrible thumping sound from people jumping out of the WTC.))

The US is in an indefinite war status, so that device would thwart the attacks by providing security, by an alternative access and escape.

Think about those deployable ladders that one can roll out from a second or third (or more) story building window, they make good sense to me. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

Take a 6' x 2' x 1' Latex bag and fill it with 10 gallons of water and a bunch of sticks and rocks then drop it from 1000'. When it hits the ground I don't think the sound would be a thump. More like splat.

Reply to
Don

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

If you did, the wife took those nakid pix of yours and uses them to enhance her private pleasures.

Apparently you didn't get the "Docility Shot", or you're immune, prolly the latter...creepy, (hear ya). Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Many high rise buildings have window washing support equipment on their roofs, usually a counterweighted system on wheels or tracks that has davit (like used for lifeboats) type hangers that are swung outboard and support a hung scaffold. The whole thing is controlled from the scaffold. It can be driven to a storage location on the roof. I've only installed one about 17 years ago on a 14 story building, but a similar one is used here on a 60 story building. As I remember the one we installed went for over $100,000. This gadget would be a lot cheaper, but I prefer a scaffold to a boson's chair. EDS

Reply to
eds