Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my mailbox.

Here's the situation.

  • It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
  • It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
  • It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
  • So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
  • It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
  • There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

Put on one of those little red (manual) flags. Leave it up, when it's down, there's MAIL.

Sorry, could'nt resist.

Reply to
Lefty

Judy Zappacosta wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

You would still have to open the door but have you considered a stick on mirror on the top of the inside?

Reply to
Red Green

First, the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't have a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to be mailman) to pick up outgoing mail.

Second, there are distance from the ground requirements. The old requirement was 41-45" from the ground. The new requirement (~Jan 2005) is that the height be approved by the local postmaster. If you're in the 42" range you should be okay.

Having gotten this far, check the mailboxes at your local box store. There's an easy way to add a small flag to the box such that the flag goes up when the door is opened and you can discover the trick by looking at the display models.

Reply to
HeyBub

If not a flag, then a motion sensor wired to small light on the front down where you can see it. Put a lens over the light so it looks like a reflector. Or make the light a little down light from landscape lighting.

Reply to
norminn

I think you can find sliding trays for mailboxes so you don't have to reach in.... you can pull the mail to you. It wouldn't be hard to fashion your own.

So um, why don't you walk up to your mailbox? You rest, you rust.

Reply to
mike

"Lefty" wrote in news:WvWdnetPasxY6OjWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

an indicator would be a great help to mail thieves,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

First, the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't have a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to be mailman) to pick up outgoing mail.

re: "...the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't have a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to be mailman) to pick up outgoing mail. "

I'm not arguing as much as I'm questioning the logic here.

Why would the person-person stop *delivering* mail just because he didn't know if the customer had any mail to be picked-up? On days when there is nothing to be picked up (s)he's still obligated to deliver what's in the bag.

It's the customer who may lose out if they have something to be picked up and don't have a flag. If the person-person doesn't have anything to deliver on that, they'll just drive on by and not pick up what's in the box. However, if they have something to deliver, they have to stop, flag or not.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta wrote Re Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside:

Wow! Suppose someone puts a rattle snake in there during the summer and you stick you hand in there without looking!!!

I saw it in a movie once.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

-snip-

My post office won't stop unless there is mail to be delivered. [which is every day- so no inconvenience for me]. On my box, the flag is just a courtesy to the mailman so he is ready to drag the mail out, before he throws the mail in.

-snip-

That's on my rubbermaid box-- pretty simple.

I've also had the 'yellow ball in a eye-bolt' deal on my mailbox. When the door is opened it drops the ball. I think I liked it better-- but it might just be that my eyes aren't as good as they were then -- I have a hard time seeing the little door-flag from the house.

Here's another style;

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government regulations. If the box is non-conforming, the postal service may decline to service it.

In reality, it's just one more reason the postal service may get on your case. ("It's too high off the ground, it doesn't have a flag, it is not lockable, it's painted the wrong color, and made of unapproved material, and we don't like the dog much either!")

Reply to
HeyBub

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of the mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate up but any additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the led, put the switch in between the led and battery. When there is mail, it will trip the switch and light the LED. When you remove it, the spring will will push the plate up and it will go off. You'll probably need a resistor between the battery and LED depending on what type of LED you use.

HTH

Matt

Reply to
Matt Williamson

Here is one of them. They have been making all types for at least 20 years.

Tony

Discription below each picture. I have posted the how to before but these pictures should help.

?action=view&current=1265995119.jpghttp://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current=1265995118.jpghttp://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current=1265995116.jpghttp://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo141/rlm_photos/?action=view&current=1265995117.jpg

Reply to
RLM

RLM wrote in news:hl44ls$qvl$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Cool.

Reply to
Red Green

Ohhh! That triggered an idea!

Get one of those spring snakes you find in trick boxes of peanuts and jam it in the box.

When the (presumably) female mailman opens the box, the high-pitched scream will alert you to a delivery.

Reply to
HeyBub

-snip-

Well done. It also has the advantage of not being a notice to bad guys driving by that you've got mail.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My neighbors put a cat in a mailbox once. They said it jumped into the mail car when the mailman opened the box.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

your neighbors are animal abusers.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They were some pretty mean kids. Thankfully, neither one turned out to be a serial killer. At least I don't think they did.

Reply to
Metspitzer