Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

There was a project in a magazine years ago(maybe Popular Electronics). The part in the mailbox was a circuit that used just a switch, capacitor and battery.Since the capacitor blocks DC current flow the circuit only produces a pulse and the battery will last its shelf life. The part in the house was a simple SCR circuit that would turn on and latch whenever it received a pulse from the mailbox any time the door was opened or closed. I built one for my grandfather who was a gadget nut. It worked well with the exception that it got a few false triggers We figured out lightning strikes was one source and CB radios may have been another.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Press the buzzer, and who's going to hear it? The cockroaches and spiders? She's getting her mail from the CAR, not sitting in the house waiting for it. Probably, on the way home from work. She isn't home when the mail is delivered.

Frankly, I don't see the point of all this. The simple solution is to get out the damn car and LOOK.

I don't know why she hasn't been harrassed by the postmaster for the following reasons:

  1. Stone pillar mailbox is a road hazard.
  2. No flag if rural free delivery (i.e. a mailbox by the road).
  3. The box is too d*mned high.
Reply to
mkirsch1
[snip

Add a camera pointed at the mailbox so this device provides entertainment too.

Reply to
Harry L
[snip]

I've seen someone drive to get mail. It was across a large yard (rural) and across the road. There was ice on the ground.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs. I do *not* like dogs that bark continuously. I don't like owners who keep their barking dogs outside all night. These particular dogs are so bad that we really can't use our back yard in the summer. Fortunately, the owners don't get along with anyone in the neighborhood (even a family who were friends before they moved next to them) so have their house up for sale. Apparently they didn't much like showing up for the court date.

I always offer my hand to dogs on the street. The neighbors on the other side have a yellow lab that is never a problem. It'll bark sometimes but not incessantly.

Reply to
krw

What about all of those mail boxes that are attached to the wall beside the front door? What about those people that still use a mailslot in their front doors? Give me a break.

Reply to
Ron

Those are clearly a separate issue. The fact is that the specifications for mail boxes are pretty strict. They are not required to deliver to a non-conforming box, whether it be on the house, by the road, or in a common area.

Reply to
krw

It's not a separate issue.

The OP said; "the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box doesn't have a red flag" and "If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government regulations"

That is complete bullshit, period.

Reply to
Ron

It *certainly* is.

He was *clearly* talking about a curbside box. He is correct.

The bull shit here is between your ears. Grow up, kid.

Reply to
krw

Kid? LMFAO!

Provide a link from the USPS that states that you will NOT have your mail delivered to your home unless your mailbox has a "red flag" attached to it, which is what was stated.

Also, there are "curbside" mailboxes right in my own neighbor that are surrounded in brick and mortar with NO red flag. They still get their mail delivered. What about that, Mr Knowitall????

Reply to
Ron

Great thread. I suggest (for the OP) a motion detection camera connected to internet that will send an email when mail is deposited.

As for the flag, this appears to be the regulations page:

Oddly, though Flag is mentioned twice, there doesn't appear to be an actual regulation listed here that specifies the flag.

What do I care? I live in a small hovel with a mail slot.

Reply to
dgk

LOL, a snail mail to Email alert.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I dont have a flag. Box has been replaced 3 times in 20 years for broken flags. I get mine delivered but pickup is a little "iffy". They will only pickup if they have something to deliver. If I have something that has to go out right away I put it in my neighbor's mailbox or take it to work.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Only a prepubescent kid in public school would have a sense of logic as bad as, or read as poorly as do you.

Your logic is awful (no changes here). They aren't *required* to be hard asses, but they can be. Because they don't follow regulations to the letter doesn't mean they can't.

Reply to
krw

Here's something called the Mail Minder.

RobertPatrick

RobertPatrick wrote in news:4b7c7ff9$0$5658$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I meant,

RobertPatrick

Provide a link from the USPS that states that you will NOT have your mail delivered to your home unless your mailbox has a "red flag" attached to it, which is what was stated.

Reply to
Ron

Looking at the site and found this light,

RobertPatrick

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The mail carrier needs to close the lid !! Lazy asses - we have a number of substitutes since the regular guy retired. He was good.

Reply to
TD

I see you still insist on flunking elementary logic and remedial reading. You *must* be a prepubescent public school kid.

Hint: It has nothing to do with the flag.

Reply to
krw