Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

The "rules" related to this item make me a bit skeptical:

From the web page:

(This is a non-returnable item-which means that if it's defective, and you have read and understand how it's intended to operate, you will be sent a replacment from the manufacturer, and in no case will be refunded any money or credit).

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I already had the parts but I doubt you could spend a dollar for everything if you didn't have something. The fishing float could be replaced with something bright in color that is visible from the house. Piece of bright red ribbon or red plastic tag for example.

What ever you use as an indicator, it is visible on the rear, behind the box toward the house. Even if your box is at the end of a long driveway you can tell if it is at the top or bottom.

I'm cheap.

Reply to
RLM
[snip]

Homeowner planted flowers too close to mailbox, and postal carrier allergic to bees.

Reply to
Sam E

I've lived in a place like that. Around here, it's the older neighborhoods. Where I am now, we have rural-type mailboxes at the street. Also, sometimes the carrier DOESN'T stop when the flag is up.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

How about a touch switch that comes on when someone touches the box. Reset it when you've opened the box.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

That is often look inside SEVERAL TIMES a day, since you don't always know the carrier's gone when there's no mail in the box.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

How can you tell the difference between incoming mail and outgoing mail?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

If the box is metal, it could become the contact plate for an electronic touch switch.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Train a dog to run to the door and bark when anyone other than you opens your mailbox.

Reply to
Gary H

I'm pretty sure it senses motion from opening the door. It makes sense because it says it will not work on vertical hinges but it works with the three pictures. On a vertical hinge it would only swing out, not tip over.

Reply to
Tony

He's above us all. Everyone else is supposed to change to his way.

Reply to
Tony

The red flag will only tell you the mail vehicle passed by but would not indicate if the box were empty or not. My mother used a small plastic ornament tied to the mailbox door handle using a 12" string. To close the door take up 8" of string and push it between the latch as you close the mailbox door. The weight falls when the door is opened by the postmaster to complete delivery. I guess you can call it a Gravity Powered Indicator (GPI).

Reply to
Phisherman

How about an electrocution device if anyone but me or the mail carrier touches the box? lol

Reply to
Phisherman

Mount a door bell button in the mailbox and run the wire out the back and to the door bell in the house...With a plate of warm cookies and a 20 dollar bill politely ask the mailman/woman to ring the bell when he or she drops off the mail...Repeat the cookies and 20 spot yearly...Less maintaince and the mail carrier will love you...HTH....

Reply to
benick

Gary H wrote the following:

My daughter's Yorkie barks when the mailman leaves mail. He sits on the back of the couch watching out the window. He also barks when anyone rings the doorbell, or when any truck enters our driveway, or enters any neighbor's driveway, or parks and idles anyplace on our street (a short cul-de-sac), or at anyone walking on the street.

Reply to
willshak

Oh he sounds like LOTS of fun to have in the house.... (Not a fan of overcompensating neurotic little yappy dogs that couldn't survive a single night on their own in the big scary outdoors...)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I remember several boxes that had a little metal piece on a small chain. You wedged it between the door and the body of the box; when it was opened by the carrier, the piece would fall and hang down (usually 6-12" or so) and could be seen from the house

cya

Reply to
dbriggs

A bit difficult though with the mailbox inside a stome pillar - - - -

-
Reply to
clare

Oh, but it's so fun when your neighbors keep their yappy dogs (Jack Russel, and two mini-weenies) outside overnight in the big scary outdoors so they can bark at the breeze.

Reply to
krw

Oh, some of them can be amusing at times. One older lady up the block that only lives here in the warm months, has some sort of terrier in 3/4 scale, maybe 10 pounds soaking wet. When we cross paths on our evening walks, I always observe the dog etiquette of standing still in a non-threatening relaxed position, and offering a hand to sniff. He'll come within a couple feet, but if I say a word, he'll do a backflip and go run and hide behind her.

There are a couple younger neighbor ladies that always get embarrassed when their large HAPPY! dogs run up and lick my hand when we pass on the street. (Oh boy oh boy, here comes somebody new to sniff!). I do the extended hand routine with them, just to avoid the more traditional dog greeting, which would embarrass their humans even more.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers