Tile vaulting

If you don't like this stuff please leave this newsgroup and try alt.philistines. I'd love to see an installation in progress. I smell a road trip.

RicodJour

There's something wrong in this paragraph:

But tension is a stretching force, so an arch or dome made up of bricks is vulnerable; it must resist forces pulling the pieces apart. The gradual, shallow curves of a typical Guastavino ceiling help distribute forces across the ceiling, compressing the tiles laterally into one another and limiting tension.

The first sentence talks about tension and the second talks about compression. An arch like described in the article is in compression, not tension. I like the subject, but the writer seems unknowledgeable.

Reply to
creative1986

Agreed. They make it sound like a vault doesn't function like a dome or arch, which is of course nonsense.

The tile vaulting was probably developed by little kids playing around and gluing popsicle sticks together - or whatever kids put their ice cream on back then. The Roman arch was probably developed by a rich guy saying what can we do with those four hundred new slaves, they're just sitting around.

RicodJour

One of my greatest regrets is not taking better advantage of the architectural delights of Europe while living there for 3 years.

Reply to
creative1986

Yes, Helga had some nice flying buttresses.

RicodJour