Portable Home Generator Questions

Just trying to provide some help. There may a diesel engine generator that can run on #1, as I already posted. I also asked if your heater could run on #2.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

No, my heater will only work with K1. They caution strongly against using any other type of fuel.

I will seek info from the maker to see if the diesel can run on #1. But, I am not finding many diesel type generators in my range of 8 kw.

James

Reply to
James

For the use you are going to see, you're probably best off with a gasoline powered generator. Weather doesn't sneak up on us these days, so you should have ample time to fill how many plastic 5 gallon jugs you think you need. I've got a 4.4Kw gas powered unit that gets used once or twice a year. I use "Stabil" in the fuel tank and the the engine starts easily by rope. The unit is light enough to transport to other homes, or a job site, if needed; something a diesel generator might not be.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

our last power outage was five days. I expect to need a minimum of 12 gallons a day. that would be 60 gallons/ a ten day outage (possible) would be 120 gallons. That isn't easy to store.....

James

Reply to
James

Technically it may be possible, but it would be expensive, and would have to meet code. The person who runs the underground line will have to address his liability should there ever be an accident or problem as well. Any line burried has to be below the frost line, for example, so for many areas that is a deep trench.

I guess I'd think that maybe a second tank near the generator would be the way to go... Almost certainly be cheaper in the long run.

My guess is that the cost of running a 100 ft underground gas line may exceed the incremental cost of going to a more appropriate generater (diesel), but I could be wrong.

If you have not guessed, I'm a big fan of diesel generators, followed by nat gas/propane ones. Gasoline ones are problematic often.

And while we are at it, getting a good generator is paramount! Some are so poorly built that their running life is only a few hundred hours! However, I was in Home Depot the other day, and they had two reasonably well build generators there, one with a Yamaha engine, one with a Subaru engine. Both would probably give good service. But those $500 units from China with the unknown engines on them are generally not a good investment. As well, if one uses a gasoline generator I'd recommend an annual 'tune-up' by a professional shop. Nothing sucks more than needing the generator and finding it won't start, runs poorly, or won't generate electricity!

(My generator is a 15KW diesel on a trailer... It'll put out 20KW if needed, and run at 15KW as long as you put fuel in it. You can even check and add oil while it is running!)

Reply to
PeterD

During a power out, it's wise to conserve energy use. You can't go on with your hair dryer, electric coffe late' maker and heated cuticle trimmer and vibra massage door mat outside the front door like nothing is wrong. Man, that is so yuppie. You have to make adjustments during emergencies.

Run the furnace, and a few lights. Turn off the TV and learn how to play scrabble, or other bored (spelling air intenshunnel) games with your family. Go visit folks, invite the nieghbors in for a hot drink and a bored game.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How many days were the roads and gas stations closed? And I very much doubt you'll need 12 gals a day.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

PeterD:

Good comments/ and good comments from others. Yes, I will buy a good quality generator, and I will fire it up at least every other month/ I am looking at the trifuel generator sold by Northern Industrial Tools/ it is powered by a 390 cc Honda engine. I am sure it would be reliable.

James

Reply to
James

Can't say that I completely agree with some of this advice. I have a fairly cheap generator I use for backup power. I've had it for 7 years now. I probably use it an average of 0 to 30 hours a year. It does have a b&s engine but it's your basic 1 cyl cast iron engine. It's a 4 kw and if I had to do it over again I might get a 5 kw but would still get a cheap unit. People using them on job sites need the expensive ones cause they will get run for thousands of hours. I'd be surprised if I have more than a hundred hours on this one after 7 years. Running it periodically is critical. If it has a float bowl carb I also recommend you start it, let it run for a couple minutes, then shut off the gas at the tank. This will drain most of the gas out of the carb.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

(snip) Why does the genset need to be 100 feet from the house? The fancy automagic gensets I have seen installed were right next to the a/c box outside, and not much louder. The neighbors won't care, they will all be running generators themselves.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

the key to happy neighbors is your extension cord, if they are getting power too no one will complain

Reply to
hallerb

Have plenty of gas and oil. Don't expect anyone to offer money to help with the expenses.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Run monthly (or even every two weeks during high risk times) for at least an hour each time, loaded for 45 minutes.

Can you post a URL to that one?

Reply to
PeterD

I don't see giving neighbors power (with an extension cord or anything else) is a good move. I see all kinds of downsides, including if anything goes wrong, you would be on the hook, not the neighbor.

Reply to
PeterD

In 2003, when the ice storm took out much of northeast USA. My neighbors didn't seem interested in sharing power. One neighbor didn't want me to wire into her furnace. I'd been installing furnaces for three years at that point, and knew what I was doing. The other neighbor had a generator coming from the fire department (he'd been a member). He planned to use it to run electric space heater. I told him that was a poor use of resources, but he didn't seem interersted.

One family did let me run their furnace, in the house. Warmed up, nicely. They had lost the digital phone when they lost power. The next day I went back, and found they had gone to a public shelter, and I'd wasted my trip.

I'm not big on sharing power, any more.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you have a cite for the "buried gas line below the frost line"? I don't think that is required or common practice.

Reply to
Patrick Karl

Gas station owners don't make any money off the gas even when the power is on. I've heard on more than one occasion that only a few cents per gallon goes to the store owner. Out of that they have to pay a licensing fee to the oil company, upkeep on the pumps, etc...

Why the hell should they fork out money for a generator just so the big oil company can rake in more money?

Reply to
mkirsch1

WTF are you doing that you need to run the generator for that long?

In an EMERGENCY, you don't need the air conditioner, sixteen computers, electric dryer, all the lights on. Your priorities should be preservation of the food supply, communication, and protecting the shelter. Basically, refrigerator, freezer, radio/TV, and a sump pump.

Hell you don't need anywhere near 8KW for that.

Reply to
mkirsch1

That's total crap. Run it for 5 or 10 minutes every couple months. No load needed. Turn off the gas and let it run out of gas each time. Keep a can of ether in case it's hard to start when you need it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

So, if buy gas at a gas staiton that only sells gas and oil, doesn't have a store, and doesn't fix cars...., am I to assume that they are not making any money? Why else would they be in business?

Reply to
Jay-T