Painting concrete

-------------------------------------

------------------------ \ \ _ ______ | \ \ / \___-=0`/|0`/__| \ MOT YELKCUB \_\ / | / ) / / `/-==__ _/__|/__ -| / / * \ | | / / (o)

--------------------------

Reply to
bsamot

I am using Color Place concrete paint and the directions say to "etch" after applying paint to concrete. I am unfamiliar with this procedure. Can someone explain what this (etch) is?

-------------------------------------

------------------------ \ \ _ ______ | \ \ / \___-=0`/|0`/__| \ MOT YELKCUB \_\ / | / ) / / `/-==__ _/__|/__ -| / / * \ | | / / (o)

--------------------------

Reply to
bsamot

You could ask the expert where you bought the stuff from, but Walmart & The Dollar Store do not have paint experts.

Could've, would've, should've used a concrete stain. The concrete is etched b/4 staining.

Dollar to a donut, it's etched b/4 painting too.

Reply to
Coot

You could ask the expert where you bought the stuff from, but Walmart & The Dollar Store do not have paint experts.

Could've, would've, should've used a concrete stain. The concrete is etched b/4 staining.

Dollar to a donut, it's etched b/4 painting too.

Reply to
Coot

The only reason I could see "etch" written in directions after painting concrete is if you want areas not painted to have a different texture. For example if one were to paint say tile lines on a concrete, this would protect the surface painted and using an "etch" would remove a layer of the unpainted surface. We use this in many applications and in metal process with acid. Using a wax resist similiar to say a paint, this protects the metal area waxed and then an acid is applied and the area left unwaxed is "etched" I would guess that the etching needs to happen on the concrete before the surface is painted though..... This is a guess. And that a solution of muratic acid will etch the concrete to a certain amount depending on the strength of the solution.

Reply to
jloomis