Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Kitchen remodel update & photos
I uploaded a bunch of photos taken as going along in the kitchen remodel = project. So far we have repaired the floor, framed a larger window, = installed receptacle/switch boxes. would greatly...
8
8

Footer/Base for outdoor fireplace
I'm going to install a concrete footer/base for an outdoor fireplace. The specs say this footer/base must be able to hold 1500 lbs. I haven't received the fireplace yet, so I don't have...
16
16

skyscrapper technology
any url etc on skyscrapper construction using concrete core and wire cables--this is supposed to be new technique using it on buldiongs in san francisco sofar found very little but no details tia...
10
10

Fireplace Question- Firebox
Hi All, When building a fireplace, is it nesc to pitch the back of the firebox wall? Thanks to any and all that can reply! Clarance
4
4

question about wall insulation
hi, when constructing the room in my basement, the contractor put mineal wool (white, not pink) between the wooden studs and then covered with with a vapor barrier. LATER on he was placing quiet a few...
2
2

Humidifier
Our home is 2900 sq feet with finished basement for total 3500 sq ft. We have a two system heating, one unit for the upstairs located in the attic and one for downstairs located in the basement. We...

Building drawings and design
Hi All, Don't re-invent the wheel'. Reduce your total time up to 90%! This site is an incredible place to get architectural and civil engineering drawings, kind of online drawing and design...

basement condensation
I'm finishing my basement and was installing a new cable for cable t.v.. While cutting through the wall I noticed condesation on the back side (towards the block) of my insulation. I'm...
10
10

newb question about MITER SAWS
hi guys, I'm thinking about purchasing a miter saw for occasional home use. If you don't mind, I wanted to ask you couple quick questions: 1) I noticed that some (but really not most) have...
10
10

Noise transmission thru copper pipe supports
I can hear my boiler burner throughout my house. I have found that the majority of the noise transmission is via 2 threadded rod supports that support a large cast iron pipe out of the boiler that...
10
10

trenching after a rain?
Hey Folks, I'm running a 1000' trench for electrical primary to a new home. I'm in a bit of a time crunch, and got half of it done already. I was going to do the other half this weekend,...
18
18

new lumber cleaning
Is there any reasonable way other than sanding to remove various marks (ink, etc) put on boards by sawmills, wholesalers, distributors, retailers, etc. for identification purposes. Sanding may remove...
10
10

Insulation in Gang Box
I have a deep 3 gang box on and exterior wall. There is cold air that pours out of it since I am guessing not much insulation could be put behind it. Is it safe to fill the gang box with fiberglass...
14
14

Pressure WRT Main Body
When doing pressure balancing across rooms, what is the maximum pa from a room WRT the main body (room with the return in it)? This is assuming a supply grill in the room and a single return in the...

Installing a Steel Door in Masonry Opening
I own a home (about 83 yrs. old) with a stone foundation that is about 14" thick. In the rear of the home I have a walk our basement and would like to install a new insulated steel door. Currently...
18
18