Oven cleaner and Mildew cleaner fumes (respirator)

Two very effective cleaners I use at home are extremely irritating to my lungs and eyes and no doubt not healthy to breathe in (Oven cleaner and X-14 Mildew remover) I was wondering if wearing a respirator mask would help. Like this one

My only concern is the replacement cartridges. They are pricey. Do i have to replace them after every use? Or do they last several months when left idle. Please share your experiences.

Reply to
techman41973

try pricing some at an auto outlet where you can get replacements when needed. The last a long time. Kepp sealed when not in use. I have never cleaned an oven. A whole house fan works well.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Your best bet when using these sprays is to hold your breath for a minute during the application, quickly leave and come back in 3 minutes. I use this method and it is very effective. There are lye products you can brush on rather than spray on. Also, try not to use more product than you absolutely need.

Reply to
Phisherman

I wouldn't spray X-14. It's equivalent to adding two tablespoons of washing soda to a gallon of bleach. A respirator won't protect your eyes or skin or the surfaces you spray.

Also, I wonder about the shelf life of the mixture.

You can make a safer, cheaper mildew remover by mixing equal parts of bleach and baking soda in water. I may use a tablespoon of each per quart of water. You mix it when you intend to use it because the shelf life is in hours.

I've found it effective, and it has never bothered my skin or lungs.

(There are some household chemicals that should not be combined with bleach.)

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Amonia.

When I spray the bath I just use bleach, water in a sprayer. It works in very little time. I leave and close up the bath, and run the fan. Good clean houses have fans.

On fibrous materials for clean up I use Oxyclean. It makes hydrogen peroxide, good on organics. The air masks are designed mostly for organics, but there are specialty filters for other gases. Some gases can't be reliably filtered. For minor irritations the mask will work fine and last a long time. You need an eye mask if you have eye irritations.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Also acids.

Bleach has a pH almost as high as lye. That extends its shelf life but makes it dangerously caustic and slows the bleaching action. Baking soda makes it much milder to the skin and nose, like a swimming pool. It also adds cleaning power and speeds the bleaching action.

I like to soak textiles in Oxyclean in a pan on the stove. It works best at 140F or hotter.

Dr. Clean used to post at ahc. He pointed out that peroxide may remove a stain better if you apply ammonia first.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I'll try it.

Reply to