clorox anywhere spray

I believe you are thinking of Staph, but, if you can show a reference to document your statement, I'll stand corrected.

School - Four walls with tomorrow inside.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

I looked up front my table at a restaurant last night, and there was a mother, her young son (~7) and a pump bottle of hand sanitizer! As I watched, the little boy dropped some of his food in his lap, onto his chair, and eventually ate it. I was thinking he might ought to rub some of that sanitizing in his mouth. :-)

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

No comments: just shaking my head in disbelief.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

I don't think your aunt would have done that very long, if the O.R. Supervisor, or the infection control nurse had found out about it.

If an environmental services employee of mine got caught doing that, I'd give her the choice of being retrained or replaced--for jeopardizing the hospital so carelessly.

I do not believe you can find even one source of towelettes that use a phenolic as the disinfectant. Phenol is the crystalline form of carbolic acid. Frankly, it doesn't cause me any trouble, but no manufacturer would invite the public to burn their skin with a phenolic soaked disinfectant.

Some trees are ever green.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

I suppose that the good bacteria needed by our bodies get destroyed along with the bad so then we become ill as we haven't the same good protection and possibly could end up breeding superbugs that none of us could cope with- we all know the results on the overuse of antibiotics.

Yes, money can be extremely dirty but does "dirt" equate to germs? One's hands can be quite brown and dirty looking after handling peat but a lot of peat is sterile and I was assured by a mushroom grower that I could eat raw mushrooms without washing them as there was nothing in his peat that would harm me. I still like to give them a quick wipe though, just in case.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

not if I could find more people who died on my terms - I did say one would have "more chance" This one almost fits the bill. What a silly man

Mrs Bonk

I doubt they had O.R. supervisors or infection control nurses in his Aunt's time. Correct me if i am wrong but it IS surgical spirits isn't it? It's still being used in some hospital operating theatres today, maybe not in the USA, I wouldn't know that but certainly some hospitals are still grateful for it.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I had not heard the term "surgical spirits before you used it--yesterday. I just now looked it up. "Surgical spirit: ethanol to which has been added a small amount of methanol to render it unfit to drink. It is used to sterilize surfaces and to cleanse skin abrasions and sores."

You might already know this, but ethanol (ethyl alcohol, a.k.a. grain alcohol), an accepted toxin, is a two carbon atom substance. Methanol (methyl alcohol, a.k.a. wood alcohol), a recognized and avoided toxin, is a single carbon atom substance.

Even ethyl alcohol is too random and inconsistent to be suitable for OR. Of course, there are OR where anything would be appreciated. Even with what we have here in the US, the incidence of nosocomial [hospital-acquired] infections is unbelievably high.

A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

No, it wouldn't always equate to germs. In the case of money, it's not intended to make your hands look dirty after handling, like you would with peat or soil. Since money is handled by so many people, it does transfer germs quite readily. I know I was always getting sick more during the winters I was a cashier.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Supervisor, or the

Forty years. She was a supervisor. Big pension. Lots of new cars.

her the

But you recommended it for shopping carts.

doesn't cause

Every towelette I checked uses either a phenolic or a quat. For killing germs these days, phenol is less common than other phenolics. It's used in Noxema shaving cream for sensitive skin.

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

Hear me now and believe me later.

I once worked on a farm that produced eggs by the thousands. The invention that made it possible was the refrigerator. To process so many eggs we had to wash them. As soon as we washed them, they started to spoil. The USDA says unwashed eggs will keep fine at

60F, but if they have been washed they must be kept at 45F.

If you're going to incubate eggs, they have to last three weeks at

97F. They won't make it if they've been washed.

The USDA's Egg Grading Manual (Agricultural Handbook 75) describes the problems caused by washing eggs. In Minnesota it's illegal for a grocery store to sell washed eggs. The only approved cleaning method is sandpaper.

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

I'm thinking of salmonella. Typically, only 3% of humans have it, but many birds, reptiles, and mammals carry it happily in their guts. People who handle pets (such as dogs, cats, rodents, snakes, turtles, and birds) need to be to be careful to wash their hands before going into the kitchen. Uncooked meat is unsafe because it can come into contact with manure at the processor. Vegetables can get it from manure fertilizer or inconsiderate birds.

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane