clorox anywhere spray

That's what I was thinking too. Very affordable at .50 a bottle, and brings peace of mind w/ kids and animals running around the house.

Thanks Piper for your response. Monique

Reply to
BeesMom9905

Are you serious? What on earth is it coming to, cleaning shopping trolleys? cleaning public toilets? dear oh dear

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Isopropyl alcohol [isopropanaol] is not very expensive. Diluting it will make it less effective and harder to air dry. In quantities you're apt to be toting around, rubbing alcohol won't pose much threat "to kids, pets, etc."

You might want to consider a sanitizing, popup towelette. One jihad Mom to another Jihad Mom: " Kids...they blow up so quickly!"

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

Well, just what is "it"? And what do you think it is coming to? LOL :-) I know what "it" is, but I do not know where it will end. Maybe Tyvek gear and full-face respirators for all. :-)

Today, I heard a successful businessman say that he would never sit in a motel bathtub.

Microbiology and pathology are so interesting.

Whatever it takes.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

I watched a show once that had a scientist state that the dirtiest area of a public toilet is the floor. I say, just don't lick the floor ;-) All this sanitizing is making kids immune systems too weak to fight off the bugs they're encountering everywhere else.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I would think one would have more chance of liver failure from the rubbing alcohol or possibly burning to death from a leaky bottle of surgical spirit and a carelessly thrown dog -end than the chance of expiring from a supermarket trolley handle infection-but I could be wrong.

perhaps he prefers showers? I am always wary of Norman Bates type characters when I shower in hotels

Indeed.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

As babies mine put everything they could hold into their mouths - as babies and toddlers do. Obviously if something was particularly grubby or had been dropped into something unsavoury then that would have special treatment but most of the toys were outgrown before they had a wash to be then passed on. I have a few toys still here that the grandchildren have played with and I never thought to wash any of them. I wonder how dirty coins are. They are handled by many and end up in all sorts of places yet the women at my local fruit machine hall , if they can't get the coin into the slot , pop coins into their mouths then put them in the machine. By rights they should all be dead!

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

rubbing

My aunt liked it for cleaning operating rooms because it shined the stainless steel. Evaporation is a problem. Contact should be 30 seconds with a 70-85% mixture, but the alcohol starts to evaporate immediately, which has the effect of diluting. If you spray heavily enough to kill germs, it sounds as of you could have a fire hazard, a wet wiping cloth, and rapid consumption.

Quats and phenols sound appealing, but you know more about them than I do. Alcohol kills a broader spectrum, but none of the three kills mycobacteria or is reliable on nonlipid viruses.

They seem to use quats or phenols.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

Same here. I think I sanitized my daughter's pacifier once, when I saw the cat batting it around on the floor. Who knows how often the cat *really* played with it ;-)

The truth is, germs aren't all *bad*, and aggressive eradication of all of them has severe drawbacks.

Well, I know from my stints at cashiering that money is filthy. When I'd wash my hands during a break, the soapy water from my hands was always brown-ish.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

The average toilet seat has 40 germs per square inch. A keyboard as

4,000. A telephone has 25,000. Some viruses that cause colds can survive 72 hours on a surface.

I think the danger from bathrooms is food handlers who don't wash their hands. Phones and desktop stuff are exposed to hands and coughing. Janitors aren't asked to sanitize them because they don't look dirty.

Pennies tend to be sterile because of the copper. Coins in general are pretty clean because several metals kill germs. Dollar bills are the dirtiest because they pass through so many hands, but the germs are generally harmless. For example, lots of people have stapholococcus aureus, which is dangerous, in their nose, but it seems not to survive on money. One reason is that most hands have lots of stapholococcus epidermidis, and it protects us from s. aureus. You should never clean under your nails because that's where the protective bacteria lie in wait. If you see your surgeon washing his hands, fire him.

Would you like me to tell Mother you and Michael are ridiculing me?

Get a room, you two!

Reply to
Sawney Beane

You are wrong. The mother of a good friend contracted salmonella from a cart. She was elderly and nearly died but for a wise doctor who questioned everything she did and everywhere she'd been.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

"nearly died" doesn't count !

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Do you mean he couldn't diagnose her illness until he'd found out everything she did and everywhere she'd been? How did he find which cart she'd used? How many days had it been since she'd been exposed? How long would salmonella survive on a handle?

Salmonella is everywhere. That's a reason it's wise to wash hands before handling food.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

The world has gone raving mad! Soap and hot water folks. That's all you need. Intact skin is an excellent barrier to germs. I just turned 50. My parents used only hot water and soap. It was rare for me to get sick as a child. I was also at home until kindergarten...no away from home daycare.

Like Nan says, don't lick things, don't stick dirty things in your mouth, (you guys have dirty minds!), and if you think you touched something gross, wash your hands when you get home.

bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

Anecdote is not Data. Everyone everywhere has a "I know a guy who" story that can back up their opinion.

Hey, many of us grew up not wearing seatbelts, and carseats weren't even heard of.... does that fact make carseats and seatbelts unnecessary? Not at all.

If you have hard data showing the what Mrs B is looking for, then you'd have a valid claim.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

That raises an interesting point. I was never in daycare either. Just skipped off to Kindy when I was 5. I don't remember, but I don't think I was sick very often. My 6 year old has been sick a lot since she started school, coming in contact with other kids.

My home can't be considered "sanitized" by any stretch of the imagination. I clean up spills, I do use bleach solution on my countertops when I've handled raw meat, especially poultry, and I disinfect my dish sponges.

I'm convinced that all the sanitizing has had a profound effect on the human body's ability to fight off illness, including kids from homes where we don't go crazy trying to sanitize everything.

LOL

Nan

Reply to
Nan

A doctor that couldn't diagnose salmonella?!? I wouldn't want him to see *me* in an ER!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Fruits and vegetables are likely to have salmonella, and it clings too well to wash off. Small exposures like that may help the immune system. If your system is weak, spraying with peroxide and with vinegar will kill most of the salmonella but leave the food palatable.

A dirty egg will have a lot of bacteria on the shell.... half a million? They are likely to include salmonella, which is normal in chicken guts. Washing the egg sounds like good sanitation, but if you aren't careful, infected water will be drawn through to pores and infect the egg.

For the small operation, it's safer to remove the visible dirt with sandpaper. There will be some germs left, but after 24 hours with no dirt on the shell to live on, most of the bacteria will be dead. That's an example where simply removing dirt sanitizes.

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

I do agree that everyone has differing levels of immunity to things. It's true though that germs are exercise for your immune system.

Maybe the day care thing has to do with children's immune systems not being fully developed until 5 or so. I really have no idea but I do think kids that go to daycare early on, are always getting sick. Maybe we ought to treat them like puppies and limit their exposure to the general public until they are physically ready (immunity).

When I was a kid, having rampant ear infections and having ear tubes placed, was unheard of. Why is that so prevalent now?

bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

I'll be 43 in April, so I'm not too much younger than you. I remember getting really bad "ear aches" as a kid. They'd wake me up at night and I'd be in tears, the pain was so bad. They weren't treated with antibiotics, though. Earaches were considered something that children just got.

I think advances in knowledge and technology have gotten us to the point of treating ear infections as a more serious situation, now. I do know some adults with reduced hearing due to scar tissue on their eardrums, from frequent "ear aches", as children.

Nan

Reply to
Nan