Re: Vinyl siding SNAFU.

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:4b59ae9b-9641-43f7- snipped-for-privacy@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com:

Wife and I completed a small 20x20 cottage, > using 2x4's walls stuffed with fiber glass. > The BC bc calls for the equivalent of 2x6 walls > stuffed with fiber glass so we're upgrading the > walls by applying 1.5" SM then covering that > with simple white vinyl siding, that is most heat > reflective. > So wife goes to our local building supplier - who > are really nice people - to get some plain old > white vinyl siding, a no brainer, we thought. > > They only had a few 100 sq. ft in stock so she > bought what they had, and we installed it in a > jiffy, but they said we'll have more tomorrow. > > In goes wife to get more, of the same product > code, however, it's 5" and the original stuff is > 4". Apparently the store only stocks 5" as std, > but we got 4", if you are confused that's good. > > So the next thing is the store had to place a > special order of 4", deliver it to us and pick > up the 5", which they did, all's well now..... > I guess. > Ken >

Plain white? Well, *there* is the problem. Had you wanted Mocha Frost or Peach Fizzle or Orange-Blossom Bubbles, in the faux Alligator Foot texture or faux Silk Pajama texture or whatever, they'd have had piles of the stuff. But Plain White? Oy Vey!!! You're lucky they still make it!

;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

3f7-

You did good, now make the roof either white or reflective and you'll be starting to get a foothold on the thing. When you mention 4" & 5" I hope you really mean DOUBLE 4 or 5. That is, TWO laps per panel. Run chalklines to keep everything level and true.

Reply to
creative1986

A green roof is great insulation year round. It's a nifty place to hang out. Deer have a tough time leaping onto a roof to eat your vegetables. You don't need additional reasons. You do need a strong enough roof and you don't have one.

RicodJour

oted text -

Thats a good idea for roofs that were designed and built as a floor. If they are designed and built as a roof its probably not a good idea to load it up with extra weight like dirt, plants, etc. Also, I seem to recall working on largescale buildings with flatdeck roofs and deep foam insulation and the whole thing was so fragile that simply walking on it was prohibited and reinforced designated pathways were designed into the scheme for stuff like maintenance, etc.

Reply to
creative1986