Re: The value of shopping local

Instead of a truce, how about stop wasting your f****ng time(s)? You don't agree - BFD. Go find better things to do.

RicodJour

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

[snip]

"To Serve Man" Stop! Stop! DOn't get on that ship! "To Serve Man" - It's a cookbook!!!

Oh yeah, I always love the Piece Of Paper bit. As tho' a nut-case is worried about that.

The sick thing is that, if you do protect yourself, you're likely to get some speech abou thow you shouldn't have "stooped to their level". I know how that one goes, boy oh boy =>:-p

Just look at the situation a few years ago in FOrt Lauderdale, I think it was. The rape and battery rate was through the roof; then a lwa was passed granting women a sort fo automatic Concealed Weapon license. Not all women carried guns, but a lot started to - and the rate of rape/battery plummetted.

THere are a lot of guys (and even a few women, too) who think they have a right to do whatever they want to someone whom they can physically overpower. Not all humans posess Humanity...

Heh...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Yeah, it's bizarre when you move to what seems ike the middle of nowhere, and then, WHammo!, some developer comes in, and next thing you know, you're hemmed in on all sides and have HOA ruleboks being thrown at you.

That's how you know ya got it good ;)

I've pretty much lost my tolerance for rudeness. It's just

*unnecessary*, also it's a waste of energy, because it takes far more energy to be all POed at the world and frown and be rude, than it takes to just be a bit Zen and treat people with basic civility.

The medium is difficult for most people. I like it because I'm much better in writing, then speaking. But for most folks, it's the other way around, I assume because one cannot hear vocal inflections or see facial expressions or hand gestures. Since i'm not as adept at interpreting inflections and expressions, it's less improtant if I don't see them. But I have the feeling that, for many epole, *not* being able to see/hear those cues makes it much easier to impart their own emotions into the words of others. Or maybe not - I'm just theorizing again.

Heh, sounds like my eldest sister, the one who moved to Australia.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

[snip]

THat all makes perfect sense to me.

I personally struggle perennially with the whole individual-group thing. On the one hand, there *are* things I thing are valid, and other things I just believe in. OTOH, I've also felt, for most of my life, rather tyrannized by The Almighty Fat Belly Of The Bell Curve, by sociocultural norms that simlutaneously reject me and a hell of a lot of other peole as well, and demand a conformation that I am, like many, unable to provide. Not because I'm violent or nasty or any of that, just because, well, I don't really comprehend why, not sure that the "why" matters a whole lot. What matters is coping with it.

A whole heck of a lot of people get *really* POed when one says something like that - it throws many for a loop to realize that one simply doesn't care whether or not they approve of one's life.

Heh, interesting mental image, GOing to Hell on a rocket sled, cool ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Not true at all. Most policies would have covered the baby. The problem is that very sick babies cannot make enough in their lifetime to pay back the costs of keeping them alive for the first year or so. Result: it becomes, one way or another, a socialized expense. The obvious thing to do under these circumstances is, for society to be cost-effective, is to stay to the parents, "Let this one die. Have another baby." That is the so-called natural way. Are we ready to do that? It happens all the time in the third-world. Libertarian principles are "natural" all right. The natural way is to let someone die.

Unlikely.

Medicare for All Ages, including babies.

Reply to
George Conklin

I never took you for one or the other. As for being "set up", it's all in his head. You are free.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Not to worry at all. Another William Blake quote:

"Listen to the fool's reproach! it is a kingly title!"

St. Mike is just an image to me. So is Yosemite Sam.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I always think when I see statements like that that the person cares all too much...

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

That's what I'm doing.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

A better idea.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

There's a kid with that in some of my daughter's (gifted) classes. The kids are generally really good with her....way better that she would have got if she was of my generation. In my day she would have been the endless target of some bully for sure.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

As long as it works for you - personally, tho', my own "guides" (for lack of a better term) remain things I am loathe to discuss, and do so only on rare occasions and generally with those who are knolwedgeable in these areas and can offer me an enhanced understanding.

ALl of which is terribly vague, I know. But anyhoo...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

Oh yeah - "QDU" - duh. That one was a lot better than I'd expected it'd be. Alan Rickman always brings a certain level of quality to a film. I also saw a very un-advertised little film called, IIRC, "Somethign the Lord Made", about the first ever heart surgery - a very excellent film, if you can find it.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in news:9Vz5j.26981$L% snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Whatever makes you feel better, I guess, but the assumption would not necessarily be correct.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

[snip]

I dunno, maybe some people just get irate when someone else saysthat their point does not follow logically from when they claim. I do remember that, when I worked at teh Agency, there were a few analysts who would have blue fits if as much as one semicolon of their precious verbiage got changed by an editor. Maybe it's a related phenomenon, this thing of deflecting off of a topic so as to make a personal comment.

WHat pops into my mind is actually a commercial. Two women are sitting on a bench (why, I dunno, not relevant). One, who looks like a normal everyday person, is ahve a good time eating some sort of sandwich (the ad is for the sandwich, but I can't remember *that* part of it ). Anyhoo, the other woman is dolled up like a supermodel, staring at teh normal woman, and we hear her thought process, about how teh other woman is enjoying that so much, and so on and on, and then it turns into how it shoudl be the model-type enjoying it, it should be hers, and so on. THen out of the blue, she looks at the other woman and says, "I hate you!"

Like the rather bewildered owman who is just eating her lunch, I find a great many human actions and reactions to be completely bewildering...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

If someone genuinely didn't care what other people thought of him, why on earth would he announce the fact?

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

If it is the commercial I am thinking of, the hated woman is quite gratified to be so ;-)

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

I think I read that Don won't engage you, or something to that effect. A day or so earlier I read that I haven't the courage to address him directly, since I won't argue with a guy who'll say the types of things he says, and so can't be taken seriously. Don seems to want it both ways: AC-DC.

I don't know who posted it first, but it's easily the 3rd time I've cited this:

(which is why the group is still worth it despite the odd lunacy.)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I think it's cute that he measures his success by yours. You must be a heck of a guy that so many people look at you as a yardstick.

Reply to
Amy Blankenship

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

It's based on historical fact, which is the best part. I don';t often recommend films, but this low-key gem is IMO a top-notch bend of history, with excellent scripting and acting. One of my all-time favorites (which might not be saying much, considering some of the other films that are my favorites )

Reply to
Kris Krieger