Re: Ain't gonna work.....

"Don" wrote in

Several things have to transpire almost simultaneously for this solar > stuff to work. > 1) The cost of the stuff has to come way down. > 2) The efficiency of the stuff has to go way up. > or > 3) The cost of the grid has to go into the stratosphere. > > BTW: To get 900 watts I'd need (4) sheets of plywood sized (4'x8') > solar panels and those aren't easy to hide on your roof, or you need > some place to put them where they can access the most sun and be able > to be serviced. Something I just noticed missing in the statement > above are the deep cycle batteries which aren't cheap either. > sigh...... > > Oh well, back to the drawing board......I don't give up THAT easily!

Economy of scale, you need to put your whole home, and a few neighbours into a communal system. then maybe it will pay, Hey how about wind. Ya got lots of that! . Ron

Reply to
Ron

Don't know if people are blowing smoke up my ass, but I have been told it would be about 10K to power my small home on solar (not fully but for most of it). We are in a very sunny area so it might have to do with that. I've used a few solar calculators online who show about the same, though that includes tax credits and rebates from utilities (which I think Cali has a lot). I would think for a small office it would be much cheaper.

What kind of wind do you get on your property? Ever considered wind power? Lots of DIY ones online, not to mention the commercial stuff.

Reply to
Edgar