Who you gonna call?

This should be a no-brainer, but like so many home repair tasks, it's turning into an exercise in futility. A few weeks ago a dark spot started appearing on the kitchen ceiling. It continued to get darker, larger and turning black. It wasn't hard to figure out the problem. There's a shower stall directly overhead. Fortunately it was right over some cabinets, so I ripped out the sheetrock at that spot and put a bucket right under the drainpipe. I still don't know exactly what's leaking. I can run the shower for 20 minutes and I don't see any water dripping. But the bucket always has water in it, and clearly water was dripping onto the ceiling. The shower stall is tiled - walls and floor. I called a plumber and he said he only does plumbing, not tile work. I called a tile guy and he said he only does tiles, not plumbing. Neither of them will deal with the sheetrock, but I'm willing to do that job myself. I swore off doing my own plumbing work years ago, when I found that even the simplest job often results in something breaking that leaves the entire house without water until the supply shop opens two days later. Now I don't do anything more complex than replacing a washer.

Now the question is: How can I get this simple leak fixed as a one-stop-shopping operation? I don't want to call one person (plumber or tile guy), have him to ten minutes work and then tell me the other guy needs to take it from there, then call him and have him do ten minutes work and tell me it's the first guy's job now, and keep bouncing back and forth. I've tried a couple well-recommended handymen, but when they hear the words tiles and plumbing, they don't return my calls. Soon, all the plumbers around here will be fully booked with fixing frozen pipes, so I'd like to get this taken care of this month. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Nick Danger

Wow! A real mystery! I would start at the top, look at roof and attic to see if there is a leak that could follow plumbing or a vent stack. Vents are pretty notorious for leaking, I believe. How is the tile? Any little holes from deteriorated grout? Since you have the ceiling open, perhaps you can lay newspaper under the shower and see if you can localize the water source a little better as the wet spot would be easier to see.. Shower floor is tile? Fiberglass? Tape some plastic over the shower drain and see if that stops leaks. If not, then it almost has to be the faucets, it would seem. Access panel to the faucets? If not, can an opening be made on other side of the wall? Good luck. Let us know.

Reply to
Norminn

ve

I had that problem you might as well begin tearing out more drywall till you can see the actual leak. mine turned out to be the valve, which had to be replaced.

some jobs you must just dig into........

cant fix anything till you find the leak.....

Reply to
hallerb

I agree. You've already opened up the drywall. Do whatever it takes to find the actual leak. Then it will be pretty easy to decide upon your next step.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

"Nick Danger" wrote

First, lose the attitude of "simple leak". If it were so simple, you would at least know if it's coming through the tile, or the drain, or a supply line.

If it's one attitude, contractor's dislike, is someone telling them it's a simple problem.

If it's so simple, fix it yourself.

Reply to
Rick Zimmerman

As others have said: Find the source of the leak. The water can travel a long ways before finally dropping off the pipe.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

words tiles

Not exactly the same thing, but that's what I had to do when having a new sink installed. I had to have the tile guys remove the tile, then the plumber there to put the sink in, and then the tile guys come back to put the tile around it. There really was no way around it. I hope it works out for you.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Don't just run the shower, get in and take a shower. Could be the weight on the base causes a leak around the drain and it only happens with someone standing in there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You call a general contractor. He will then hire the trades people he needs. Expensive. I would take the cover off over the valve and examine the valve closely for leaks. Chances are you will find the problem here. Next I would pull the shower head and pipe and make sure all was well there. Last I would remove more sheet rock and expose the drain to check for leaks. If you can identify the problem then you can hire the trade person that you need. I suspect your valve is leaking down the wall onto your ceiling. The water may travel several feet before it exits your hole.

Reply to
Pat

Just to clarify, I would inspect the entire roof, inside and out, as leaks can traverse a rafter or a beam and find an outlet far from where they enter.

Reply to
Norminn

Wow! Zimmerman is a jerk...ignore this man and his idiotic post....

I looked him up..he posts under MANY different names and has a 'blind" email address......in his 'home" group, heating and air..where he claims to have experience....the other contractors rape his posts and call him out.

he has posted MANY times under suicide sites....so enough said.....fill in your own joke and or curse here about him.....I myself choose to be kinder and gentler than he LOL

He also claims some computer skills and will prob try signing up your email to many lists in a juvanile attempt to pester you....rotfL AT him never WITH him....

You are a joke MARINE....and a slap in the face to all the REAL marines past, present and future...a slpa in the face to all heating/ air techs....and an affront to all of us out here......just go away loser....people are already ignoring your posts as it is......LOL...you are a SAD case........we don't hate ya playa!!! We feel SORRY for you........

Reply to
golfismylife31

It seems like you and rooftime are on the same page, and you guys make sense....I have a bathroom leak...and am gonna try your tips BEFORE I rip into my ceiling........you two may have saved me some money!

Reply to
golfismylife31

Sez the brainless google posting WEBTV-tard.

LOL!

Reply to
Casa lo pensa