Nimrod

Or perhaps it's in order to make it more convenient for Beethoven to roll over and tell him the news?

Reply to
Roland Hutchinson

Oh dear, my first STS problem for weeks..

Reply to
Laura F. Spira

snipped-for-privacy@euronet.nl (Donna Richoux) wrote in news:1gx6wp1.rutib91bknjrrN% snipped-for-privacy@euronet.nl:

[ ... ]

That could be it. A definite possibility. Also I do tend to get confused between the Greek gods and the Roman gods and others from that area of the world, and, although I've read the Bible, there are many parts I'm not familiar with, the Nimrod passages being among them.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:dXule.8546$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Based upon what (relatively little...) I know of biology, physiology, brian function and brain structure, autism (non-verbal thinking), the relationship between social interactions and survival of a species, and etc. and so on and so forth, I think it's a given that animals do experience emotions. I also think it's a given that many social animals can experience empathy. If neither were true, I think there would be no such thing as social groups in the animal world.

In terms of structure and what can be determined of function, the scientific data I've seen indicates that the difference between the human brain, and the brains of mammals and birds, is quantitative, not qualitative.

Of course, there is also "subjective experience" - meaning, human-animal interactions occurring in non-controlled conditions, i.e. daily life. Some researchers maintain that scientific inquiry must, to be considered science, occur in controlled situations, and reject what is called, in scientific circles, "anecdotal evidence", because much of it is unreliable, since humans project onto animals their own desires and traits. OTOH, I do think that there are stable, rational people who *can* offer reliable observations, and that this sort of data should be considered.

Another factor that influences my own thinking, and the thinking of at least some researchers, is that, even when dealing with other humans, we can only take them "at their word", for "face value", IOW, we're not psychic and we have no way of proving, of actually determining, anyone else's emotional state, especially since humans also have developed the capacity to lie - in essence, to act. It therefore seems to be just as "unscientific" to claim that humans have emotions, as it is to claim that animals have emotions. Given that the brain structures are so similar, and that the neurological functions, right down the to neurochemicals and their measureable response to physiological states (such as the release of adrenaline in stress situations), it seems unreasonable, and unscientific, to suggest that humans are "somehow" qualitatively different.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:8zrle.102$ snipped-for-privacy@newscontent-01.sprint.ca:

So...? I don't mean that sarcastically, I just mean that I don't understand how that's relevant.

When I write music, I seldom just hear notes in my head, I hear timbres, "colors". Real composers typically write pieces for specific instruments. Now, some instruments share certain sound characteristics - the violin, the oboe, and the human voice, for example, sometimes sound very much alike. So music transcribed from one to the other has some chance of sounding right. With the "Lark" piece, it isn't just the notes that count, it's their *quality*. Much, and maybe even most, music is like that.

The piano OTOH doesn't sound at all like any of those, so playing the "Lark" on the piano would be silly - you cannot achieve the same, what,. feel/quality/color/timbre, you can't draw out the sound withthe same control. OTOH, piano and guitar (classical) share enough characteristics such that piano pieces can often "sound right" if played on the guitar. The reverse is not necessarily true, tho', because the guitar is of course more responsive to touch, and to where the string is plucked.

IOW, a piece of music is more than just a collection of notes. Imagine "Purple Haze" played by a marching bagpipe band...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:pRule.8538$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I can't tell - I have a dialup so the page is loading at the speed of a herd of turtles, plus I don't get multimedia through the internet (turned it off because of slowload time - takes up to 15 min for multimedia stuff to load).

"The Lark Ascending" is a piece for orchestra and violin by Ralph Vaugh WIlliams (the last name might be hyphenated...), a composer from Britian who wrote in what I think is called "the pastoral style". He used a lot of folk music melodies and themes from the British Isles. I only knowa few of his works, I just relaly like the "Lark" piece.

What I really wish is that I was able to transcribe my experience of it into a 3D model, but the shapes are too complex and I don't have sufficient talent :(

HTH

Reply to
Kris Krieger

One is pleased to have been service.

Reply to
Roland Hutchinson

"_of_ service", I mean, 'course. Gotta start proofreading _before_ posting.

Reply to
Roland Hutchinson

Technically he's correct when using the term plucking. This holds true more so in classical guitar because you are 'plucking' the melodies rather than strumming. I still sounds funny, I thought you picked a guitar and plucked a chicken.

I've never heard of this thing. Is Ebo a brand, or a type of device. Does it work on a simiar principle to vibrato/tremolo? I can get some similar sounds by combining some effects like harmonizers, chorus, and some guitar synth stuff. Pretty cool sounding, but I wouldn't necessarily use it a whole lot.

Reply to
Cato

Probably like hearing a marching band play "Iron Man", which I heard on TV last fall during a halftime show. Pretty funny when it's WAY out of context like that. Remind me to call my bagpipe playing friend, I'd kind of like to hear a little Jimi done Highland style ;-)

Reply to
Cato

"Don" wrote in news:HCMle.9043$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Um, er, strummed...?

I only use "plucked" ebcause I think (assuming I remember correctly) (correct me please if I'm incorrect) that in musicology, guitar, mandolin, harp, lute, mandolin etc. (and I thin the harpsichord...?) are referred to as "plucked string instruments", as opposed to violin, viola, cello, etc. which are "bowed string instruments", and things like piano which I thik are called "hammered string instruments".

No insult intended ;) !

You should post some mp3 files.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Cato" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Except that "guitar picking" is (again, *assuming* I remember correctly!) actually a combination technique/musical style that can be as simple as a pattern of playing the notes of a chord or as elaborate as (argh, there goes my memory out the window, I'm trying to think fo some artists) I want to say Ottmar Liebert, which might be wrong - at any rate, it can be aselaborate as classical guitar but the technique (I think - not sure so check me) is different and the musical style is different but the two can overlap.

At least, that'swhat I seem to recall - which may or may not be correct...

- K.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Cato" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

You have my sympathies !

Depending upon one's mood, I guess it could be really funny :)

Which is not to insult the bagpipes; I actually like thetraditional bagpipe music and imagine it'd be haunting if you heard someone playing one of the many haunting, plaintive melodies from a craggy mountainside. I actually wrote a piece for my sister that is for bagpipe and drum =:-o

But Jimi on the bagpipe... "the mind reels as reality warps and melts into into a gellid puddle of steaming green goo..."

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:zTQle.9256$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

You could do that! Just remember to post the MP3!

Reply to
Kris Krieger

As with Nimrod and his tower of Babel, the ancient Greeks built high towers, as with the cities Pergamos and Purgos (both meaning tower), as did the ancient Turrenians (turret-builders) of Sardinia, (but whose structures are generally known by the Arabic talayot).

, > --

Reply to
o8TY