Nimrod

Robert Lieblich spake thusly:

Oooh, no, I don't agree. Pomp & Circumstance marches appeal to the British part of me. The English part responds to Enigma, the cello concerto and Gerontius. As well as Tallis, Vaughan Williams and Britten.

Reply to
the Omrud

Will spake thusly:

Aaaarrrgggh, not the blasted Lark. Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, that's the one. Nearly knocks Elgar off the English perch.

Reply to
the Omrud

Thank you. I can't click "hyperlink" on the menu in plain text, but I've typed in the URL and highlighted it, switched to HTML, deselected the link and switched back to plain text to type in the message text. The link seems to stay a link. I apologize for using this group for a test, but what I now need to know is whether this dodge eliminates the annoying HTML section (my reader doesn't show them). CDB

CDB

Perhaps it will help Francke get over Norma Jean.

Reply to
rbaniste1

Often. And ironically. Since most of those who watched Bugs Bunny had neither the biblical background nor the semantic subtlety of the Erudite Rabbit, "Nimrod" was taken to mean "idiot".

Reply to
Chris Malcolm

You know that I, as a jumped-up hairy-kneed sweaty colonial, am perfectly disinterested when I say you can delete from the above. And perfectly correct, of course. (There's something about these Gloucestershire Welshmen.)

But don't knock the Lark: perhaps it's England's equivalent to "Allegri's" Miserere. If I didn't think it might ruin it for my progeny, I'd leave money to have it played at my funeral. (Actually, that's an interesting question...)

Reply to
Mike Lyle

Mike Lyle spake thusly:

For some reason, the Lark never swept me along, but my main problem with it is that in my Classic FM years they used to play it every few hours.

But I grew up near Elgar and walked his hills at the weekend, so he's talking directly to me.

Reply to
the Omrud

The point you are missing is that whether it appears as a clickable link depends entirely on the software used to read it, and not at all on that used to post it. Most newsreaders will, if set up to do so, display any valid URL as a clickable link (anything beginning with www. being interpreted as it was preceded by http://) so you really don't need to go through these contortions. What OE shows you while you are composing the message is irrelevant. What is transmitted is just text; the "hyperlink" is created at the recipient's end.

Reply to
Don Aitken

Sure

Lux aeterna luceat eis Domine cum sanctis tuis in aeternum: quia pius es. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine; et lux perpetua luceat eis. Cum sanctis tuis in aeternum quia pius es.

Reply to
John Dean

"the Omrud"

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

inherently

insultingly.

jeeringly

Yeah, right, Einstein!

I once dated this girl and she was great in bed but she was just such a godforsaken einstein I couldn't stand to be with her for five minutes upright.

Just tryin' it out.

Reply to
Carmen L. Abruzzi

"Carmen L. Abruzzi"

Do you still have her number?

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

John Dean spake thusly:

I'm not sure that these words can be said to have been "written". I suppose somebody wrote them originally, but they've been in use for many hundreds of years.

"set" is probably the word.

Reply to
the Omrud

Why didn't you just turn out the lights so you wouldn't notice her hair?

Reply to
Tony Cooper

I tried it., and it just doesn't work. I can't get my eyelids to flip the switch.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Richard MacIntyre wrote: [...]

I don't get your question, I'm afraid. Are you asking whether Elgar, Vaughan Williams et al. are "classical" composers? Personally, I have problems with the term "classical" music, as classical music is a particular period in Western musical history, and I prefer the term "academic music". However, I would regard the above as "classical". And you don't like Trio Bulgarka? Well, there's no accounting for tastes. What DO you like? You might try rec.music.classical, which has a rather high signal-to-noise ratio and a couple of ocean-going trolls, but there are some people there who know whereof they speak.

Will.

Reply to
Will

Will spake thusly:

I found this yesterday - I have no idea how accurate this is, but I'm impressed by the interface:

It draws a map of items, with the distance between the items related to the likelihood of the same person liking both of them. So the map above has Bach in the centre and other composers, bands and artists clustered around. You can click on any of the other items to re- centre the map. It also does movies and books.

Reply to
the Omrud

It's interesting that the map places Schubert and Spyro Gyra (who he?) closer to JSB than Scarlatti, whom I would have thought one of Johann's natural bedfellows. Nonetheless, thanks for the link, which will cost my employer even more moolah.

Will.

Reply to
Will

Will spake thusly:

Spiro Gyra is a (very accomplished) jazz/funk band from the 70s. Or is it the 80s? I think they are still around.

The data in this map can only be as good as the sum of its contributors, so presumably it will get better.

Reply to
the Omrud

It sounds like a sandwich: a submarine with feta cheese, perhaps, as one of the ingredients.

Reply to
Charles Riggs