Need resources for residential colonial architecture

I'm having a general contractor build a house that I designed using Broderbund's 3D Home Architect software. It's a 2-story colonial, or maybe you'd call it a colonial revival. Here is a link to something that is similar...

Our builder is very competent, but he's not very savvy when it comes to traditional architecture. Most of his houses are basic ranches. He's done some colonials and cape codes, and the workmanship is excellent, but I've noticed some annoying shortcomings when it comes to design, like the windows are not spaced uniformly, or he'll just leave out the center window on the second story, or he won't allow the proper amount of space between windows for shutters. I've mentioned some of these things, and his comments have included, "We'll I'm not a big fan of shutters, anyway." ...but this is a colonial!!! (Again, see the link above for the traditional look I'm trying to accomplish.) Other concerns include roof pitch, window trim, the front portico, door and baseboard trim, etc.

So here's my question... Is there a book or online resource that I can refer to for information about standards for colonial architecture, like dimensions, proportions, window spacing, etc? I really want this guy to build our house, but he just needs a little help to make sure he doesn't overlook some important details that could make the house look really silly.

Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
john

Countdown 10...9...8...7...

Reply to
RebarGuy

Try this site:

or

RicodJour

I have no idea what you were trying to communicate with that comment. Thanks anyway.

- John

Reply to
john

Another useless post. Wow. With a helpful attitude like yours, you should work in the IT field where people *expect* useless feedback resulting from personality disorders. Do you feel better now? Unfortunately, whatever problem you're trying to compensate for--small penis or height less than 5' 6"--has not gone away. Thanks for nothing.

I suppose I should hire someone like *you* to go over my design. After all, you've already given me a very insightful sample of how helpful you can be.

You know, this project is not rocket science. There's no reason why I can't accomplish this project with my current contractor, my own design, and a few helpful resources. I'm not trying to avoid spending money. I'm trying to maximize value. I can afford an architect, but using my own design is very satisfying. So your useless comments do not apply and only serve to illustrate your own ignorance. Sorry about your low I.Q., but don't take it out on me, please.

Reply to
john

not sure about architecture by broderbund, but over here the builder is not expected to do the architecture... just follow the plans and build the building to spec.

Reply to
R'zenboom