Mars

I seem to recall that there are a few sky-watchers here, so I decided to foreward the following msg I just received in my Email.

- K.

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within

34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at

10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

And eat some of those red and white spotted mushrooms to get a clearer picture of the riddled planet. Alice would have been excited.

Reply to
o8TY

Share nakedness with my children? Isn't there a law?

Reply to
gruhn

"Kris Krieger"

I just heard that they managed to get unstuck one of the Martian explorers. Apparently the things have been working for over a year. I have a healthy interest in planetary exploration... I should check up on what Titan's been up to lately. I find it simply amazing that we got something to land on a moon that far away, complete with snapshots no less.

...A couple of nights ago, I enjoyed a suprisingly interesting and entertaining "faux-science-documentary"-- 'Walking With Astronauts', was the title I think-- about, in documentary/reality-style, a hypothetical space trip to the planets. Better in some ways, than 'A Space Odyssey'... While I'm on about that, I also watched something similar last week about the possible evolution of future hypothetical creatures of our planet. It really appealed to my imagination.

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

And July 4, 2005 the NASA is going to place a probe into a comet. Hope this works.

CID

Reply to
Chuck

"Chuck"