Mars/Earth encounter isn't happening.

I keep getting this Mars/Earth encounter email for August 2005. It ain't gonna happen!!

This encounter happened two years ago.

there will be a close encounter in October, but nothing rivaling the one of two years ago.

TomKan

Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

What do ya mean "it aint gonna happen"?

Kenny

____Reply Separator_____

Did you go to the sites?? Apparently not, or you would have known that it happened in August of 2003.

Reply to
TomKan

Yeah, I went to the site and quickly read thru it. I must have missed something though. Are you implying that the event they are talking about was the one that ocurred in 2003 and that this one is the same event, that they got thier dates wrong?

Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

Yes, the celestial event that everyone is promoting for this August is the one that happened in 2003. This two year old email is being recirculated again as being current. The date of closest approach this year is October 31, although actual date of opposition is November 7th. This is 26 months AFTER the super-close approach of August 27, 2003. So Mars will be very nice from about 15 Oct until 15 November, this year. (And again 26 months later in January/February 2008.)

Reply to
TomKan

What a riot. I am not sure if its funny or scary. Hmmmm

Kenny

Reply to
nosaer rekees

Not that it is your responsibility, but has anyone notified the source or writer of the article?

Kenny

Reply to
nosaer rekees

The first and wrong info is making the rounds over the net and all they did was copy the hype from the 03 media hype and repeat it in their postings. It's far easyer to copy old hype and repeat it that to find out about what is really going to be going on.

As it is, my 8inch F8 Dobsonian "Babylon 8" will be in full useage during that time.

Reply to
Starlord