finishing windows

I need to finish new windows in an addition. They are untreated pine. What kinds of finishes do people recommend? I was planning to stain and poly.

Reply to
Doug

You might think about a light wash with shellac or a sanding sealer to help the pine "absorb" the stain a little more evenly. Tom

Reply to
tom

That is what was put on my windows when the house was built in 1978. Still holding up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Personally I would use glass in windows! You mean the window frame? Depends on the style of house, but paint would be my preference for durability.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

On 21 Oct 2005 13:00:25 -0700, "Doug" scribbled:

I've used Cetol products on the 42 windows in my solarium, a varnish with a tint, no need to stain (unless you want it very dark).

Product information at:

I used is Cetol 1 followed by Cetol TGL, which I now see has been discontinued but replaced by a windows and doors product. It has worked well for me, unlike poly which has tended to flake off. YMMV.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:43:38 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Zanasi quickly quoth:

How long ago did you apply it, and what (if any) maintenance schedule have you found necessary, WeeGee? I've heard lots of good things about Cetol but haven't read any long-term reviews by people I "know".

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 07:25:47 -0700, Larry Jaques scribbled:

Here's the scoop: I did considerable research on the web for a clear product to finish wooden windows. Most exterior varnishes are too soft and sticky for windows that need to operate. I found Cetol mentioned a lot, including boating sites. Terry, the paint guy at the local Beaver Lumber/Home hardware also enthusiastically recommended it, and Terry generally knows his stuff. So I applied 1 coat of "Cetol 1" and two coats of "Cetol TGL" in 2002 as recommended by the manufacturer.

To date, no maintenance needed after 3 Yukon winters (with -40-degree weather) and summers (20 hours of sun) on south-facing windows. The finish is still in perfect shape. Sikkens recommends a maintenance coat every 2-3 years for south facing stuff, but I haven't found the need yet.

By way of comparison, I also did two doors with water-based exterior poly (Varathane) at the same time (less fuss, easier to apply, dries faster). The poly was flaking off on the exterior and in bad shape, including mould on the bottom of the doors. I stripped the doors, sanded and refinished with Cetol this summer.

I initially did the sills and brickmold (architraves, Andy) with Behr "Natural seal plus No 92". That's a fancy linseed linseed oil product with anti-UV stuff. Did not last a year. I resanded the sills and brickmold this summer. We used Cetol on the sills and "Behr Super Liquid Rawhide" on the moulding.

Speaking of "Super liquid rawhide", we used that on the posts and beams as well as the gable end on the solarium. The posts and beams, where we put on three coats, have lasted up to now (5 years in this case). The gable end needed to be redone this summer (should have done it a couple of years ago). I had only applied one coat on the gable end at the time instead of the recommended three as winter was fast approaching and I needed to close it in. You can't get the "Super liquid rawhide" stuff any more on account of some class-action lawsuit you Oregonians started because the fungicides in it were not effective.:-( Not that I would use it on windows; it's too soft and sticky, but very good for exterior cladding or log houses.

As with any finishes, YMMV.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:42:48 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Zanasi quickly quoth:

OK, I'm sold. It passes the GWN eXtreme Tests. ;)

Karma, dude. That's Karma.

Which Cetol, same combo?

Ain't dat da trufe?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:40:23 -0700, Larry Jaques scribbled:

Yabbut, can it pass the PNW soaking and mould test? Prolly so 'cause the boaters like it, but who knows.

Just thought I would reinforce your polyurinestain prejudices. But then Ed says his stain+poly has held up since 1978.

Yup, one coat "Cetol 1" plus 2 coats "Cetol TGL".

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:32:00 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Zanasi quickly quoth:

I'm in the Rogue River Valley. We get MUCH less rain here and go 6 months without most years. I'm amazed at how close the temps here resemble LoCal, though it does cool off at night (a heaven send) and get a bit colder in the winter (by 20°, at least.)

Ed's taste is all in his mouth. ;)

I'll have to try it some day, once I'm rich and famous.

Reply to
Larry Jaques