linuxcad

Do any of you guru's or have you worked with linuxcad. I have been using AutoCad since R12 and am looking to go solely linux os now. I just would like some expertise here before I make a decision.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim

"What software do you want to run?" "What OS does that software run on?"

Reply to
gruhn

Tim, I'd suggest staying away from linuxcad, it sounds... poopy. If you're looking for a 2d CAD package, try QCAD. If you're looking for a 3D modeler, look at Blender.

If you're looking to do architecture work, ask the questions that gruhn asked, in the order he asked. I've been wanting to move my desktop over to Linux for a while now, but certian things just aren't done on Linux very well, and architectural drafting just happens to be one of them. If you're looking for an alternative to Windows for doing CAD work on, get a Mac.

Reply to
Matthew Erickson

Hi, I have been using LinuxCad 2000 PPC on my YDL for about 1-year now. It's not AutoCAD by any means, it's more like last GenericCad release. Maybe the Linux PC version is more updated. If in fact you are using a PC, I would try Cycas Cad (do a google), it's free for personal use, and it seems quite nice by the looks of it on their website - but it is only available for Linux X86. With LinuxCad, I was suckered into purchasing it (I too left the PC world for both MacOSX and Linux/NetBSD, and it looked Great on their website. But you know the old saying, "the best you can hope for when polishing a peice of Crap is a Shinny piece of Crap". It's okay for general detailing (it has the same command structure as ACAD, but very stripped down). BUT, I think you should look at BricsCad (it's IntelliCAD, with a commercial Linux X86 version). I have used Intellicad way back in '98 on a PC, and that was very similar to ACAD, even had the same command structure). And, I'm sure it has improved with the upgrades. Anyway, this is my 2-cents woth. Hope it was some help, Tim...

Reply to
tim...

How can that be? Just recompile the source.

Reply to
gruhn