light transmitting concrete = thermal mass?

Hi, All,

Does light transmitting concrete still act as a thermal mass, or does the included glass nix that property...?

TIA!

- Kris K.

Here are images:

&bih=968

Reply to
Beauvine

Ken S. Tucker

I'd guess it may even be higher due to the density of the material. We have some Visions glass cookware and they stay hot a long time after removed from the heat source.

Reply to
creative1986

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

THanks! :)

Reply to
Beauvine

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:khrgpi$l4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks Ken! It's not anything "in the works", but it's one of those "back of the mind" things. I keep thinking about the "Passive House" concepts, and I like th elook of the concrete that embeds optical fibers.

I also thought, Why not use something like test tubes or other tubing that has water in it. and is sealed at the end with transparent stoppers? That would let the light through, but the water (or other thermal liquid?) would store the infrared energy. People already make "bottle walls", so it seems like there ought tobe a way to make these things do "souble duty" so to speak - fill with water for its high thermal coefficient (if that's the correct terminology), and seal the end, but with something transparent or translucent.

I just get these crazy thoughts, Heh! ;)

Kris K.

Reply to
Beauvine

I have Vision cookware too and got a set when I first moved out on my own. That set was sold almost as long ago, but I recently found some different pieces in mint condition for little at a second-hand place out here in Nova Scotia. So that's what I mostly use.

The reason why this house was bought was because it included a microwave oven, and since I already had my Vision cookware and it can also go in the microwave, it was a no-brainer.

Reply to
Warm Worm

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Hmmm.

One thing I'm thinking about is using fluid-filled bottles or vials or so on as a thermal mass.

Mainly, a big concrete slab looks depressing to me. So I just was wondering.

Reply to
Beauvine

On 4/26/2013 10:54 AM, Warm Worm wrote: ...

it was a no-brainer.

Yeah, I bought a house that had a toilet with a handle, and since company poops, it too was a no-brainer, had to buy a microwave though so I guess you got a really good deal. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

microwave, it was a no-brainer.

Well, I've been thinking of selling the house now because the microwave is just not being used enough.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Kris, I am unsure if I ever posted this guy, but Dan Phillips does some awfully-fine homework working with recycled stuff:

Warm Worm

Warm Worm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Belated thanks! That's very interesting stuff - there are also interesting links associated with it. I added the above one to my Links folder ;)

I'm also interested in "shipping container" use.

There are so many creative people - I hope it gets to be contageous ;)

Reply to
Beauvine