What is it? Set 489

I have the answers for the first and fifth items this week, I need help on the other four:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

other four:

Rob

2849- comes from some (crop) harvesting machine (combine), but I can't recall what machine. Somewhat similar to the spike from the cotton picking machine, posted some months ago.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

n the other four:

Rob

2849 - Combine finger part, various fingers shown among the images -

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

2845 Bearing's

2846 Cutting board that spans over a sink or container

2850 Scope ring

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Actually I think it is a "sickle bar" part. At least that is what we called it back on the farm. It was used to cut down hay. From the shape of it, I would think it was from a horse drawn sickle.

Look up horse drawn sickle bar or hay mower.. You can see this shape among them.

The reason I say it is from a horse drawn sickle is that those old parts had those extra curves in them. And they were thicker than the more modern ones. As machinery became more modern, they had straighter lines and were flatter. I should know. I was raised on a farm that had both horse drawn equipment and the more modern machine mounted stuff. And we often pulled the old horse drawn equipment behind our tractor.

And the reason I remember this so well is that they break off now and then. It was my job to replace them.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

2845 looks more like blasting caps to me ... and 2849 is a replaceable tooth off a hay mowing cutter bar .
Reply to
Snag

2845 - FMJ Wadcutter bullets.

2846 -

2847 -

2848 -

2849 - Rock guard for a sickle bar. That looks like one from an Allis Chalmers unit.

2850 - Rifle scope base and ring.

Reply to
Steve W.

2849 Is a sickle guard for a hay mower or grain binder.
Reply to
Ralph

This is the most guesses I've ever had! Maybe I got one right? : )

#2845 --bullet blanks?

#2846--jig for net-making?

#2847--to fixture to pass a rope through (ste in concrete)?

#2849--an arrowhead (for archery/hunting)

#2850---a scope mount for a rifle

Bill

Reply to
Bill

O.K. The first could benefit from having something for scale, like perhaps a dime adjacent to the items.

2845) I've got two thoughts here. The above-mentioned coin might help me to choose between the two.

a) Crushable copper slugs designed for measuring pressure in the chamber of a firearm to test how safe a load may be. It is read in "CUP" (Copper Units of Pressure), and is determined by how much the length decreases during a single firing.

b) "Pusher" tumblers for a pin-tumbler lock. Such a lock has at least two tumblers -- the cylindrical "pusher" and the round-nosed one (operating tumbler) which engages the key. There will also be a spring to hold them down, and there may be "master disks" to allow two different keys to operate the same lock. The pushers may also be reduced in diameter in the middle (like a spool) to make it more difficult to pick. However -- I doubt that the pusher tumblers would be packaged in such quantity -- and they are offered in more than one length to accommodate the variation in length of the operating tumbler -- and possibly one or more master disk. Also, they are usually made of bronze, and not copper plated, so I think that choice (a) above is the correct one here.

2846) Purely a guess here. It looks as though it hooks onto a ridge or rod at the right-hand end, and it might be a cutting board for meat or cheese, with the hooks allowing it to tilt for convenience.

2847) This looks a though it is intended to have the plate buried in concrete, to serve as a weight or an anchor for a long cable to somewhere. But I wonder how strong the center pin would be with the fairly simple clip at the bottom. (Unless there is clearance for the concrete to fill the wall between the center rod and the sleeve.

2848) Well ... the "2014" is not the year -- yet. :-)

If they are expected to be used in pairs, and if set parallel, it would be possible to bounce a beam of light between the two in a zigzag pattern, and with a photosensor, to detect anything passing between the two. The button could be to announce your intention to pass between the two -- perhaps to avoid an alarm being sounded.

2849) Perhaps the point on a boar spear? The cross-piece is intended to keep the boar from continuing to push his way up the spear to get to the person wielding the spear (as they have been known to do)

2850) This one also could benefit from size information.

Looking at the texture of the cloth, I would guess that the ring has an ID of about 1" -- which would make it likely to serve as a mount for a rifle or pistol 'scope (telescopic sight). For a rifle, they are typically used in pairs.

Now time to send this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
2845 gluing pegs? 2846, no clue. 2847 maybe an anchor designed to put into cement? 2848 door bells from anorexia bullemia center. 2849 no clue.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Commenting again on 4829. This is a sickle bar tooth. This is a picture of some of them, mostly modern ones.

Note that the blade goes back and forth. The tooth sticks out and provides a blunt surface to force the blade against the hay. This cuts the hay.

This looks to be an old one. I have seen these go for $40. It is probably an old junk one. But folks go crazy for any of that old country item. This is what I think this cam off of.

It was a yearly ritual to replace broken parts and sharpen everything before hay season. I use to help my grandfather sharpen the blades on an old treadle grindstone. As I got older, it was me doing the sharpening, etc.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I will try this again. Google keeps changing my search around and substituting what it wants.

Hopefully this will go through.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I give up. Do a search for horse drawn hay mower or something similar. Every time I come up with something, Google goes back to the original search and won't let me send what I want. I guess the folks who have horse drawn equipment don't buy enough Google ads. Often I will try to do a search on a specific spelling of a word. This is often an URL based spelling. Google will substitute what it wants instead. And sometimes I am trying to put in some quotation marks. And Google will change the search before I even finish typing in my search works.

I am not going to fight it any more. Google can be a royal pain in the ass. sometimes.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Use the right mouse button on the image and select "copy image location".

Paste it into notepad or vi or emacs or whatever.

trim off the google shit and you get

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

doesn't track you , uses google as a search engine but doesn't remember what you've searched for before . It rocks IMO .

Reply to
Snag

Nope

Sounds possible

A number of people have given this answer, looks right to me. Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, they are solid copper.

2849 is a replaceable

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

I think this might be correct but haven't seen any proof of it.

Reply to
Rob H.

The first link you posted showed 22 pages of sickle bar mowers. The second link showed 23 pages of horse drawn mowers. So the links worked here anyway... Thanks, brings back memories! ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas