What is it? Set 473

I need some help with the fourth and sixth items this week:

Rob H.

2749 distance measuring wheel with missing handle.
Reply to
F Murtz
2749, spool for drain cleaner flat tape. 2750, maybe bead breaker for small tires? 2751, probably a Wiccan symbol. 2752, the smaller jaws could be pipe wrench, but no idea what the rest is. 2753 farrier's nail puller?? 2754, crude universal joint?

.

Stormin Mormon
2749 Could be a leveler used to smooth out flat concrete pours?

I need some help with the fourth and sixth items this week:

WW

2749 Is a wheel 63" diameter that equals one rod to measure an acre of land.
Reply to
Ralph

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, but I was guessing when I said it was 36" diameter, the title of the patent is 'Land Measuring Instrument'.

Reply to
Rob H.

38.1972 inch diameter gives 10 Feet per revolution
Reply to
StephenB

38.1972 inch diameter gives 10 Feet per revolution
Reply to
StephenB

38.1972 inch diameter gives 10 Feet per revolution
Reply to
StephenB

That sounds about right! Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

I wonder if the company made a lot of money, and got their piece of the pi.

They made profit of about $3.14 per wheel?

.

That sounds about right! Thanks

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2753 grapefruit sectioning tool, after fruit is cut in half, place the split in the tool at the membrane and push down. it lifts up the piece of fruit
Reply to
dave

But how many feet per revolution?

Reply to
Zz Yzx

The most rotund knight at King Authur's Round Table was: . . . . . .

Sir Cumference.

He ate too much pi.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

That's a groaner, for sure. What an old joke, I'm sure.

.

The most rotund knight at King Authur's Round Table was: . . . . . .

Sir Cumference.

He ate too much pi.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2749) I'll bet that the 'approximately 36" diameter' is actually 38.1972", which would make the circumference precisely 10 feet. It is to be rolled along with a handle coming out from the hub, and the counter telling how far it has rolled. 36" would come out to be 2.872 meters circumference, so that is unlikely. And precisely three meters circumference would be 37.59" diameter, and would be awkward to read.

The second photo is a bit hard to read (too much jpeg compression), but I'll bet that the counter there has one wheel which completes a full turn with the wheel, thus its 0-9 display will display feet.

2750) Only one view makes it more difficult to identify, but I *think* that the part in the background is a square hollow tube, and that it works by sliding on a square shaft with teeth on both sides, and acts as a jack (minus some other parts. 2751) Looks sort of like a hand from a tower clock, intended to point out the day of the month at a guess. It seems to have been relocated into an airplane hanger or something of the sort. 2752) Perhaps a tool for bending sheet metal into a cylindrical form, with the extra curved arms serving as some sort of guide? 2753) Looks like a tool to serve as a guide for a knife blade, and to split the skin of an ex critter along the cut. I say an ex critter instead of a patient, because I can't see wood handles as being sterilizable in an operating room. 2754) Hmm ... no scale given. At first, I was thinking that these were rather small models, but the two glass objects in the background look like bell jars, used for containing vacuum (they are set on a cast iron or steel plate with a greased surface, (perhaps) a rubber rim, and a hole in the middle through which the air is evacuated. If these are normal scale, I would expect the larger of the two to be close to 12" diameter or a bit more.

No real clue what the two boxes with the levers are for, but I think that the "small parts" in the foreground are acccessories to the boxes. The levers almost look like triggers upside down.

The small parts *look* like they are only about an inch and a half long, but that is way out of scale with the rest.

It looks as though the one with the fork fits into the hole in the nearer one and is secured by the screw (which also looks rather small).

It will be interesting to discover what these actually are, and what the actual scale is.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It may be that the wheel indicates rods:

.

One rod is 16.5 feet, so the wheel would be 63.0254 inches in diameter.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Good job, grapefruit knife if correct. Still not sure about two of them this week but the rest of the answers have been posted:

Rob H.

This length is correct, 1-1/2" or maybe just a little longer.

I agree that it looks like they fit together.

On the answer page I have a link to a scarificator set with a small brass ring torch, and I've seen a few other sets with a torch without the ring, these torches are the only items that I've found that resemble the items in my photos. I contacted five different scarificator collectors and none of them recognized the small brass parts, some suggested they were not actually part of the bleeder set.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.