Targets for toy bow and arrow

My grandsons got a toy bow and arrow for Christmas. The arrows are tipped with erasers, and per the instructions it is supposed to go 50'

I have several types of scrap wood in the garage, that I could make a target from.

Thoughts being something like those you see in carnivals where when you hit the target it flips back. The targets would have to be light to flip back by the arrows(50'). They would have to be relatively large so the child had a chance of hitting them with out standing on top of the target. The hinge is in my mind a problem.

Has anyone ever made anything like that or do you know of plans for something like that.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

How about a target that is fitted between 2 uprights, a forked base, like a= turn style mirror. The target would be installed on "axles"/pins, support= ed by and between the forks, so that it spins or gives, when struck. With =

2 bullseyes, one on the upper end of the turnstyle (above the axle) and one= below. The lower bullseye end being slightly heavier (pin insert position= s slightly off center on the turnstyle), to maintian the upright positon of= the turnstyle. The double bullseye would give the child a better chance o= f hitting the desired mark, too.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

No plans handy, but I used to shoot targets as a kid with plain tip arrows. We made our own. It was a pipe with targets that stuck out to the side. When hit, the target would rotate around to the other side. I have seen steel targets like this for firearms.

Some plastic pipe mounted to a big piece of wood (plywood?) and some light weight targets from hardboard? The advantage of this kind of target is that you don't have to set them back up. They go from one side to another. Maybe paint each side with different color rings.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

1/8" doorskin or 1/4" ply would be good.

Use lightweight steel hinges, and put a washer under the middle of the bottom of the unmoving hinge half. That should spring the hinge pin enough to keep the target up until it's nudged by the arrow.

Or, if you want to make it so the target bounces down and then back up, use a spring on the side to hold it up. As it's knocked down, it springs back into vertical position by itself. If you want the kids to wear themselves out going back and forth to the targets, do NOT use springs. Your kids' house will be quieter for them and the grandsons worn out and ready for bed on time.

-- You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others, or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are. -- Jeph Jacques

Reply to
Larry Jaques