hand saw teeth protection

I discovered what to buy for this need, which I think very necassary, go to swimming pool supply stores, it's called "coping", long plastic clips used to clip down the lining of an above ground pool around the top of the rim. It works pretty good.

Reply to
AAvK

This stuff does not have an adhesive on it? I once found an automotive door edging that the installer was supposed to apply the adhesive to. Probably why they don't sell it anymore. It worked great for me though.

Thank You Alex, I for one will be checking this out.

Tom in KY, with dozens of handsaws.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 7:30pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@notquite.net (AAvK) doth claimeth: I discovered what to buy for this need, which I think very necassary, go to swimming pool supply stores, it's called "coping", long plastic clips used to clip down the lining of an above ground pool around the top of the rim. It works pretty good.

What "need"? Hang mine from the wall, and no prob. What ever are you doing to your saw(s) that you think they "need" protection? Are you a registered saw offender by any chance? Me, if I was going to dork around with something like that, I'd just get a piece of old garden hose, slit it, and slide it on the saw. For a one-time thing, I'd probably just use a strip of duct tape. Or, duck tape. Or, masking tape. I obviously do not understand the "problem" as stated. Also, obviously, I have no empathy.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Coping is the key word, what I bought did not come with adhesive, it is somewhat like the protector that will be included with any new Stanley hand saw, only flatter. It's best to look for the 48" size so you can cut to length. It's a lot cheaper than the ones at HH, those are. $3.99 each! I paid .50c but only 24".

Reply to
AAvK

Did you ever take a saw out of the shop to a job? Some of us don't get to keep our tools safely hanging on a nail in the shop. A saw in a tool box is going to get dull rattling around with hammers and pry bars and such. We like to protect our teeth. It makes for a nice smile.

Tom in KY, Why are you in such a bad mood tonight JT? Is your truck acting up again? Did somebody e-mail you?

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Obviously you just felt like being more nasty than usual tonight. Why you gotta crap on somebody's idea just because you don't see the need?

I saw a need to cover the the teeth on my bow saw so it wouldn't rip up everything else in the van (including my children's hands) when we went camping. I tried splitting a garden hose lengthwise to put over it. Didn't work worth nothin'. Couldn't keep the cut straight for more than a few inches. Gave up on that idea pretty quick.

Went to the hardware store. Passed a pool store on the way. Walked around a while in search of ideas. . Came home with some of that foam tubing they use to insulate pipes. Wished for a better solution every time I picked up the saw. Found one tonight on the wreck.

Now, how well you think that saw is gonna cut with all that adhesive residue all over the teeth from the duck tape you put on it?. You're gonna end up trying to clean it off with WD-40 or something. Probably slice your finger and get lockjaw, cause I know you're too blamed ornery to get a tetanus shot.

DonkeyHody Who is sometimes wrong when he expects the best of people.

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 10:32pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net doth query: Did you ever take a saw out of the shop to a job? Some of us don't get to keep our tools safely hanging on a nail in the shop. A saw in a tool box is going to get dull rattling around with hammers and pry bars and such. We like to protect our teeth. It makes for a nice smile. Tom in KY, Why are you in such a bad mood tonight JT? Is your truck acting up again? Did somebody e-mail you?

Yup, I've taken saws out. And, a piece of old garden hose works fine. However, if you're gonna carry one in a "tool box" go ahead, I wouldn't. The woodworking tool chests I've seen have places to hold the saws in place, usually in the lid. - ergo, no damage. So I don't know what kind of "tool box" you're talking about. Even with the teeth protected, I wouldn't toss a saw in with other tools. I'm not in a bad mood, I already stated it, 'I don't understand the "need" as stated'. And, I was right, because nothing had been said about carrying a saw in a tool box. Anyway, if I was gonna carry a saw in a truck tool box (I take it that is what you're talking about), I would make a wooden carrying case for the saw (simple enough). Actually, I probably wouldn't - what I'd do is use a chunk of slit garden hose, then carry the saw in the cab. You guys alre always trying to complicate things.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Yeah that's good thinkin', not stinkin'! There are some good reasons for tooth protection, like, don't want to damage the sharpened teeth, don't want to damage my own clumsy self. My saws are in my apartment, and I wouldn't want to damage anything in my apt either. There are a lot of life's living scenarios that call for tooth protection! Especially if children are around too.

Reply to
AAvK

John, I go to a local woodshop set up by city college, the adult education program. And in our county, it is no doubt second to none in the entire country of the US. Anyone can go, just show up to the class itself, fill out the bubble form and pay up a small fee.

But to the class I carry my own hand tools there, in an old fashioned wooden tool box with a dowel for a handle, and I drop the saws in it, this works great for me, so the tooth protection is very necassary considering all the other tools in there and the box being made of wood. Lots of real life scenarios require it for saws.

The coping can also be used for chisel tip protectors, wrapped tightly with duct or black darkroom tape.

Reply to
AAvK

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 11:36pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (DonkeyHody) doth chide me: Obviously you just felt like being more nasty than usual tonight. Why you gotta crap on somebody's idea just because you don't see the need?

LMAO Hey, I didn't call anyone a dipstick, did I? That's nice.

I thought I was being pretty clear, when I asked, "What need?". Details, details, if you guys don't give details, don't expect me to read your minds, I stopped trying that years ago.

OK, so you're gonna take your bow saw camping. It'll probably like that. For that, my first choice would be to make a wooden case to hold it (you could even pad it, if you wanted), to protect the whole saw, not just the blade - be a shame to have a sharp, bent, blade, or the frame broken. Lay out the saw on some plywood, pencil line around it, there's your pattern - I'd even put a handle on it. Second choice, carry it in a folded blanket, or tarp (actually, this is probably what I'd do first, but if I wanted to do it "right", this would be second choice). That's the way we used to do with our crosscut saw, oh so many years ago. Now that I think on it, a piece of carpet would work. I've never had problems slitting a garden hose - a box cutter works, just take it slow

- so that'f be third choice. Fourth choice, I'd make a canvas, or leather, case for it. I've seen 'em for sale somewhere, but that was long, long, ago, and too pricey anyway. Probably a piece of carpet would work for that too. And, I did say, for a "one-time" shot, duct tape, I didn't say every time. Or, you could just fold a piece of cardboard, and tape that around the blade. My last choice would be to buy something. See? It's all so basic. And, you're all upset with me, and you weren't even the OP. LOL Different generation I suppose - my first inclination is, "How can I do this myself?", not, "What can I buy to do this?" - but that's just me. If what you've found makes you happy, then you stick with it. No prob.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Oh that's rich, anything you can possibly come up with to avoid like the plaque, the buying of a 50 cent strip of coping? What a rediculous argument, you've got nothing there, my friend.

Reply to
AAvK

Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 1:19am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@notquite.net (AAvK) now burbles to himself: Oh that's rich, anything you can possibly come up with to avoid like the plaque, the buying of a 50 cent strip of coping? What a rediculous argument, you've got nothing there, my friend.

Hmm, possibly you are addressing that toward me - but can't say - 'cause ya don't address anyone, could just be talking to yourself.

But, I will take it on faith that it is me. You seem to be missing the point. It's always more satisfying to be able to make something myself, rather than buying it. Plus, any $.50 I don't spend on something I can make, is $.50 to spend on something I "can't" make. If I was toting tools to and from class, I'd want to do it up right, and make a small chest to hold my stuff, with specific spaces for everything. Then, either put it in a small wagon (maybe make one), or put wheels under it, to carry more stuff, and pull it, not lug it. I'd make it the right height to sit on too. But, that's me.

I think I'll start back on my banjo.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Joat, Thank you for your reasonably civil response.

Do you get your plywood for free? I know you have some laying (or is it lying?) around, but if you use up half a sheet on a case for a bow saw, then you'll have to replace it someday. My point is that you haven't necessarily saved any money, you've just delayed the outlay. So something you buy especially for the task may turn out to be cheaper in the long run.

Now I wouldn't dream of telling you your way is wrong. I'm just asking you to be more tolerant of folks who have ideas different from yours. Alex has been hanging around here long enough that he's probably developed a hide thick enough to take your abuse. But the next newbie you jump on might well stay away forever. That may be no loss to you, but some of us will still be here when that newbie has developed into an accomplished wooddorker with priceless insight.

DonkeyHody "I'd rather expect the best from people and be wrong than expect the worst and be right."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:30:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "AAvK" quickly quoth:

Running a length of PVC pipe (UNgrounded, no less!) through the table saur (or with a hacksaw) to slit it makes a cheaper piece of coping. Make sure your DC is on, 'cuz this stuff has static up the yingyang.

Alternatively, build a saw till. (Ask Guntie for plans)

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 4:06am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (DonkeyHody) doth scribbleth: Thank you for your reasonably civil response. Do you get your plywood for free? So something you buy especially for the task may turn out to be cheaper in the long run. Now I wouldn't dream of telling you your way is wrong. I'm just asking you to be more tolerant of folks who have ideas different from yours.

All my responses are reasonable. Just some are more reasonable than others. LMAO

Matter of fact, I do get some of my plywood free. Doesn't everyone? Try a motorcycle place, they often give their shipping crates away. Or an appliance place. Can get some decent pieces of plywood at times, and always some wood. Some is quite nice, some is ok, some is only good for kindling. All free. I do buy, when I have the need. But, even if I paid for the materials, I figure it'd be more than worth the cost, for a case that would protect my saw, for years. To me, that'd be more than worth the cost. I might even paint something like that. I'm not cheap, but don't a lot of disposable income.

Sigh. I guess I'll need to explain it yet once again. I don't tell people they have to do things my way. That's their choice. If they want to buy something, rather than make it, fine, it's their money. Me, I make any number of things I could well buy, even if I wind up spending more money, because it's more fun that way, and I often learn something doing it. I could bu all my wood to - if I wanted to. But, it's fun to get some free wood somewhere, and make someting nice, or useful, out of it. Right now, I'me figuring out how to make catches for a gun case, and the hinges too. Sure, I could buy catches, and I've already got hinges - but it's fun figuring out how to do it - and can probably use both ideas on something else - if they work like I think they will. The next cases will probably all have store-bought catches and hinges. I'll still make the handles on all of 'em, as soon as I figure out what I like. I'm willing to share the info, but if you want to do it different, no prob.

Probably the main reason I post plans I find, is I was taught many moons ago to communicate, share info. That was one of the first things I learned in the Army. Help your buddy, because you'll want him to help you. So I post plans. I'm sharing info. You want to use them, fine. You want to killfile me, fine.

But, you want info, then post all the details you can. Don't just you want to do this, or that. Ask a stupid question, then here you're pretty much guranteed a stupid answer. And, if you check some of my past posts, you'll see that most people have ideas diffeent from me - even my kids.

As far as making a case for you saw, wouldn't even need plywood. Except scraps. Just take some time, and could make one totally out of scrap wood. Could get fancy with store-bought hinges, catch, and handle. Or, leather hinges, or wooden, if you wanted to get fancy. Old belt for a catch, or just ties it shut with rope. Rope hinge. If I was gonna use scrap wood to make one, I'd take my time and do it up fancy, just for the Hell of it. Major cost would be glue. Possibly be easiest if you tongue and groove, but doable without. Actually, thinking about it, I think I'd use dowels to hold it together. Blocks inside the case, to protect against any hard knocks. But, if you don't want to do something like that, up to you. If I was carrying around a bow saw often, I probably would make something along those lines. But that's me.

I really need to get back to my banjo.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 3:37pm snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J=A0T) turns out I did scribe: . Actually, thinking about it, I think I'd use dowels to hold it together.

I was on the way to town, and for some reason this thread popped back in my mind. Then I realized splines would be a lot easier to use. I could also make them myself.

I "really" need to get back on my banjo.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

to build it however, as a learner I wish there were more details of building it though. Thanks for the positivity.

Reply to
AAvK

All this talk about handsaw cases or teeth protection.

I knew a master carpenter growing up. He sharpened his handsaws. And he had a bunch of them too. At least fifteen of them. He had a big plywood box with a handle on the top. He opened it up and all his saws were in there. Each had a simple blade guard made from a couple of layers of heavy duty cardboard. This were held together by some carton tape.

And each had the name of the saw on the side. Yep, he named his saws. And he was very good with his tools. He built good things and took good care of his tools.

Anyhow, I don't think anybody could much improve on this system. Particularly the part about being a master craftsman.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

But won't that cause an explosion?...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

bunch of them too. At least fifteen of them. He had

were in there. Each had a simple blade guard made

some carton tape.

was very good with his tools. He built good things

the part about being a master craftsman.

Hey, that sounds entirely cool to me, the skill counts more than anything. But how did those cardboard protectors stay on the saws?

Reply to
AAvK