Lifting Casters

Does anyone know the name of lifting casters? I'm looking for casters that lift a wooden box off the ground (50 lbs?), but ground themselves when a little pressure or weight is applied to the box.

Thanks.

Reply to
none

The only type casters that I know about to accomplish what you want are made for woodworking machines or work bench mobile bases.

DanG

Check for Library ladder hardware

Reply to
Markem

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think what you're looking for is called a "spring loaded caster".

John

Reply to
John McCoy

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 13:17:42 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

According to the description, spring loaded casters are designed to minimize shock so to protect the contents in the box.

What I'm looking for casters for a box that wil ground itself when some weight is put on it. Without that added weight, the box will roll freely when pushed.

Reply to
none

Thanks, not what I'm looking for. What I want is casters that will hold something up so it can be pushed easily. Then when a little weight is put on it, it will ground itself on the floor.

Reply to
none

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:10:41 -0500, Markem

Thanks, I'm looking for something similar, only it's casters designed, for a box or crate. Under normal conditions, it's easy to push on the wheels. Then when weight is put on the box or whatever, it grounds itself and can't be pushed easily anymore.

Reply to
none

Ladder casters...

e.g.,

John Grossbohlin

The problem as I see it is that OP wants a caster that will support a

50# box and yet settle to the floor and remain stationary when he places slight amount of weight on it.

This "self stabilizing" is what going to cause him grief in his quest. What's a manufacturer to do? Offer a whole range of casters by weight? A number of them with an adjustable range? What's the demand likely to be vs one that can be lowered and locked manually like those used on woodworking machines as previously mentioned.

Far better, I think, would be for OP to design his own rig. What immediately comes to mind is a set of casters, appropriate to the task, mounted outboard on slightly extended arms with a fulcrum close to the edge. The "Inner" arm would extend toward the center of the box and an adjustable spring/turnbuckle arrangement would adjust the casters to the weight of the box to the point where you could balance it and have it settle to the floor with the addition of a little weight.

It would undoubtedly be clearer if I could post a drawing but you get the idea

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The OP is also wheel chair bound, so to some degree that will limit his ability to do certain tasks. I have never met him so I cannot comment on how limited his mobility and motion are.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0400, FrozenNorth

And further to that, I'm building a set of three steps about 20" high that I can use to get my butt back onto my wheelchair when I fall on the floor. The casters are for this step box ~ easy to pull around but grounded when I climb up on it.

Reply to
none

I don't have an outlet but these are the ticket for the design it would seem...

Didn't see them in a quick site search but they've got contact info...

Good luck; admire your ambition/drive to keep doin' stuff despite the difficulties.

Reply to
dpb

There are industrial step platforms that work exactly like that. The casters have springs and the step bottoms out as soon as you put your foot on it.

Ladder casters, side mounted, will do what you want. They can be mounted inside to be out of sight. Under compression, the steps contact the groun and the caster does not roll.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Came to me late and I see Ed already got the right search terms "ladder casters"...will show up a bunch of alternatives...

Reply to
dpb

Thanks to you and Ed. As to my ambition to do stuff, it's partially aimed at not calling the fire department to pick me up and put me back on my chair.

Lost the ability to do standing transfers about six months ago. The first three months I fell on my butt four times. It wasn't difficult to tell that they were getting upset at my calling for help. :)

Reply to
none

I think this is somewhat what you're going for, albeit less industrial.

If you Google "rolling step stool" you'll a bunch of those designed for the kitchen. I'm not sure of the casters could be used for what you're making. But somewhere in between the kitchen and industrial ones has to be a caster you could use on which you could swap out the springs to work perfectly for your particular weight requirements.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I do presume you have a call button just in case you do get into situation can't get to the phone or it breaks in a fall or somesuch...

Got to be tough; again admire the grit and attitude. Have good buddy who's gone blind w/ macular degeneration over the last several years yet he also retains his good humor and just copes as best as can...not so sure I'd be as gracious. :)

Reply to
dpb

Don't know if this would work for you but I have a setup on my drill press that allows easy movement but grounding if I want it (turns out I never bother grounding it). Set up...

  1. A base for the casters
  2. 2 - lumber pieces of appropriate size near the ends of the base and hinged to it; the cross pieces need to be a bit greater than the caster height in one cross section dimension, a bit less in the other
  3. Attach a lever to one end of each cross piece. I used 3/4" ply, maybe 2" x 12"

In use, when the cross piece is "up" (thin dimension horizontal to the base),the casters touch the floor; when it is "down", the casters do not.

Reply to
dadiOH

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:47:16 -0500, -MIKE-

Thanks. I'll be building a carpeted, plywood stair to conform to the size of my butt. I'll also be installing side handles to assist lifting myself up the steps. When I get it built I'll put a .jpg of it in ABPW.

Reply to
none

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0400, FrozenNorth

The ladder casters I came across in my cursory search were available in various weightings... some with 25 lb springs. If this is too strong of a spring perhaps the spring loaded casters as used on walkers would work... check a DME vendor for replacement casters.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin