Furniture Casters?

Have plans 'on the drawing board' for an A&C style, roll-a-round-on-a-hardwood floor, utility cabinet in the kitchen.

Besides a couple of drawers and some shelf space, and if I know SWMBO as well as I think I do, it will likely hold a medium microwave and 4 banger toaster on the top.

I need to decide on the casters that are going to be used prior to finalizing the dimensions.

Protecting the hardwood floor is of paramount importance.

The legs will likely be around 1 7/8" square. I would like a taper below the bottom shelf to about a 1" footprint. It appears with the dimensions of the casters I've seen thus far, that taper may be hard to get.

Didn't see anything at the BORG's that I would put on a portable diaper pail. Just got the Lee Valley Hardware catalog and the only one that comes close to what I had in mind is the Rubber-Wheel Caster #00A68.01 ... while pricey, 1 1/4" mounting plate size, and not quite the look I was shooting for, I am sure the quality is sufficient for the task.

Before I order them, any experience/comments with regard to furniture quality casters that will work well on hardwood floors and fit the bill for the above will be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Swingman

Look up casters on the internet - there are tons of companies that specialize and do sell retail as well as wholesale. Some sites have a questionaire that asks questions regarding not just weight, but floor type, movement type, etc. They then return a recommended caster that is specific for your use.

Reply to
C Carruth

I have, countless times, and will undoubtedly do so again. However, knowing that is often difficult to tell the wheat from the chaff on a website, and, as I fairly well indicated, I am looking for someone with "experience" with the type of casters for my stated application ... preferably from someone who's used a specific type, model, or manufacturer of whom I am not already aware ... I decided to also fish here.

Thanks, in any event.

Reply to
Swingman