Potterton Suprima - rusty outer case replacement? (2023 Update)

The outer case of my Potterton Suprima 80L has some rust on the inside and a tiny pin hole. My gas engineer has shut the boiler down and said I need to replace the whole boiler. The outer case doesn't effect directly the working of the actual boiler I am told - so is it possible to repair the hole. The boiler is probably 15 years old and I doubt if spare outer case parts are still made. The boiler apart form the outer case is in good working order. Any thoughts on avoiding a complete replacement would be appreciated.

Reply to
Ian

It is not recommended to repair a hole in the outer case of a gas boiler as it may compromise the safety of the appliance. The casing is an important component that helps contain any potential gas leaks, and a hole in the casing may allow dangerous gases to escape.

As the age of your Potterton Suprima 80L boiler is estimated to be 15 years old, it may be worth considering a replacement as the efficiency and safety of the appliance may have decreased over time. Additionally, obtaining spare parts for an older model may be challenging and potentially expensive.

I would advise seeking the opinion of a gas safe registered engineer who can assess the safety and efficiency of your boiler and make an informed recommendation on whether repair or replacement is the best option.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor