Wrecklish - A Guide For The Non-Native Speaker

Page 1 of 2
Wrecklish - A Guide For The Non-Native Speaker
"Planner", "Planar", "Planer" - All of these refer to a machine that is used to thickness and surface lumber. They may be used interchangeably but the local preference is for "Planner". Some would insist that a good "Planner" would make his infeed and outfeed "Planar" with the bed of the "Planer" but these sorts don't last long around here.
"Jointer", "Joiner" - Also terms that can be swapped indiscriminately without fear of reprisal. To those who would say that a "Joiner" can use a "Jointer" but that most "Jointers" lack the intellect to use a "Joiner" properly, most Wreckers would merely say, "Feh!".
"Mantel", "Mantle" - This one is obviously a fielder's choice although the origin is cloaked in mystery. It is said by some that a "Joiner" may wear a "Mantle" whilst building a "Mantel", while one who would wear a "Mantel" might have a Christ Complex, or at least be uncomfortable at parties. Ancient references suggest that Mickey Mantle, while capable of building a Mickey Mantel, could not construct a Mickey Mantle, at least out of wood. Then again…
"Advice", "Advise", "Vice", "Vise" - Certainly all victims of the same root structure, these are properly used as follows: "I went to the Wreck to solicit "Advise" about the proper selection of a "Vice" and having been "Adviced" by the cognoscenti, I avoided the "Vise" of misapplication." Sparkling in its clarity, that.
"Board Foot", "Bored Foot" - Whilst one is a unit of measure equal to 144 cubic inches, the other is what happens to a pedestrial appendage that is used as a hold down on the drill press. Which is which is a matter of hot debate.
"Tenon", "Tendon" - While it is entirely proper to say "He severed his "Tendon" while cutting his "Tenon", it is also perfectly fine to say "He severed his "Tenon" while cutting his "Tendon". Don't worry about this one it hardly ever comes up.
"SawStop" - A device which has been proven to make safe the cutting of hotdogs on the tablesaw. The Hotdog, Wurst, Weiner and Kielbasa Cabal is said to be pushing for its required use on all future tablesaws.
"Spontaneous Combustion" - A theory proposed by the those who insist that dust collection piping that is made of plastic will lead inevitably to shop explosions of nearly nuclear force. (cf: parthenogenesis.)
"Norm", "Roy" - Greek gods cloaked in the motley of modern usage. The "Normites" make use of "'Lecktricity" (see below) while the "Royds" eschew all modern devices, save "BandAids", which are specifically included in their rituals and are, in fact, the common sign of the brethren, so that they may know each other at WoodDorking Shows.
"'Lecktricity" - Although thought to be in the firm grip of science by most, Wreckers have proven this to be a fecund area of debate and opinion. When soliciting "Advise" about "'Lecktricity", one must always be sure that it is "UL Approved", rather than "URL Approved".
I must humbly beseech you to accept my apologies for the incompleteness of this guide and reference. I would hope that Messr. Eisan of Canukistan would enshrine this poor beginning in the Holy FAQ as a living document - to be added to and amended as the members see fit.
I remain, Your Obedient Servant In WoodDorking,
Regards, Tom.
βœ–

Clean up crew to Groggy's monitor please!
Add pictures here
βœ–
<snip>

Hi Tom,
I'm glad to see that you are not out on New Year's Eve wasting your time partying around - better to entertain us wreckers anyway.
You can't find this kind of entertainment on the tube.
Thanks & Happy New Year!
Lou
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tom Watson posts:

You missed on "isle" and "aisle", two wreck interchangeables that might confuse the hell out of someone used to real life.
Ah, yes. "Straight" and "strait." Straits may be straight, but straightness is not important to straits. Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 01 Jan 2005 10:27:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I can't believe I didn't see "rabbet vs rabbit"!
I must have missed it, surely I did, Tom? I only saw Charlie Self's full quote-
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
(Charlie Self)

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Isn't that a real term? I can find tons of examples of it in the context of putting a "rebate" onto a frame, but I didn't find it in any of the three woodworking dictionaries I googled up. I've been operating under the impression that it was a real term. Have I been tricked by the semiliterate denizens of the Wreck? :)
βœ–
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:29:33 -0500, Silvan

I believe the real speakers of English (or the speakers of real English) (or perhaps real English speakers) use "rebate" where we would use "rabbet".
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

mis-spellings and mis-meanings included.(LOL)
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
βœ–
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:29:33 -0500, Silvan

I was introduced to the term rebate (alt spelling of rabbet) sometime in the early eighties....
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:24:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs calmly ranted:

It's dem Brits what done it. 'Tis a Pommy term.
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
βœ–

Nice end to end 2004 Tom. Thanks for the clarification.
Add pictures here
βœ–
And for those new to the group, what is the origin of 'Borg'? Where does that word come from? ... Big orange retail giant?
Matthew

Add pictures here
βœ–
Matthew:

That term was actually coined right here on rec.wood and in only the last couple/few years/right here in front of most of us. Reason I go on about it is very seldom have we been there at the inception of such a thing. Anyway, it has spread and pretty universally used in the wooddorking community (other wooddorking forums).
I can't remember who it was who first introduced it but he did come back once and made a stink about proper credit.
Oh, as for meaning, Google Star Trek.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

How time flies: http://tinyurl.com/42skr
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

Is that the oldest instance of the term and is it attributed solely to Eddie Munster, i.e., him the one?
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

AFAIK, him the one... also most probably who you were referring to about taking the credit in a subsequent post a couple of years ago.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I've heard that meat was organizing a union to address OSHA to make SawStop mandatory on all butcher shop circular and band saws.
A side of beef was handing out leaflets in front of my local grocery store in a peaceful informational picket this weekend.
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sounds like a rare event. ! Was it well done or just bull ?
Pat
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:08:24 GMT, Ba r r y

Add pictures here
βœ–

It was a rare occasion! Very moooving.
Barry