Would you have paid?

Half a 32nd is a 64th. But .003" is actually slightly less than one-tenth of a

32nd. That's a whole 'nother ball game.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

These are rates charged by the employer, not earned by the employee. Yes, a teacher would fall into the professional category and if the school board operated like a business, they should charge in that range if a teacher was subbed out like a welder or plumber.

CT teachers, though, are some of the highest paid in the country. I know a couple that were going to retire a few years back but the wages and later pension benefits went up so high they elected to stay to cash in. One case in particular though, this was to the detriment of the students. Like every other occupation, some should not be there. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

on my rulers, .003 isn't 1/2 of a 32nd, Barry. :)

dave

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Within 1/128. 1/64 is excesive.

Learn the difference between bidirectional an unidirectional tolerence. Apparently, you don't know. 770 would have been fine if he had specified

49/64 but he specifed 3/4. Any cabinet maker I have ever known would call a measurement to the nearest 64th. In this case, the man asked for 3/4 and got 49/64.

And we don't even know what thickness his frame pieces were - he said

That's irrelevent.

It's not going to change that much in a short period of time. They cut it wrong.

and that is one reason that woodworking

Just becase slop work is acceptable to you, don't assume it is for everyone.

See above.

Again, irrelevent to the subject at hand.

So do I. 8 to ten hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week. Fifteen years so far.

Don't count on it unless specifed.

Just for the hell of it, what do you think the tolerance for a

See above.

Or he could have

If he wanted a very good fit, he should have specifeied but in any case, it should have been closer than what it was.

Reply to
CW

Grab your scale and look at it. Think about what you just said.

Reply to
CW

So, you can measure the thickness of a piece of wood with a ruler to within .003"? Please tell us exactly how you do that, so that we can all throw away our calipers and micrometers. Certainly don't need them for woodwork.

All the cabinetmakers you know work to a 64th, but you consider that excessive and work to a 128th. I guess you consider them a real bunch of slobs.

Bidirectional vs. unidirectional tolerence? I guess maybe you're referring to bilateral vs. unilateral tolerance. And yes, I know exactly what it is. Are you trying to say that blateral tolerance is unacceptable when planing wood, so that the 3/4" piece should really be 3/4" minus 0 plus 1/64th? Or, to your higher standards, 3/4" minus 0 plus 1/128th?

I'm glad to hear that working to tighter tolerances than are called for is irrelevant. You say you're a machinist. Tell me, when you get an order for a part that has to be turned to plus or minus .002", and you spend an extra hour getting it to plus or minus .0002", how do you explain that extra time to your employer? If you want to do it on your own, that's fine. But remember, we're talking here about a commercial millwork operation.

"Don't count on it unless specifed." Your words. Sounds like what you're saying here is that metalwork, unless a specific tolerance is agreed upon beforehand, will be supplied to whatever tolerance the producer deems appropriate. Which I absolutely agree with, because it is absolutely true. Now, explain to me just how it is different for woodworking. Remember, the guy gave them no tolerances beforehand.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

Oops! Missed a zero!

I'm thinking .031m not .003!

Neeeevermind...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Well, if you factor in all benefits, utilities, facility costs, management costs and all of the other overhead built into the above quoted skilled and professional labor hourly rates I bet the teacher rate is right up there. In my district it costs about $11,500 per child for education (this is the cost those hourly rates would need to cover). Our average class size is about 22. (That is the class size, not the student/teacher ratio. The student teacher ratio is about 15 due to all the specials). Thus the classroom teacher with 22 kids at $11,500 each is "billing" the taxpayer about $250,000 per year. At 176 actual student days and at about 5.5 instuctional hours per day (or 968 instuctional or "billable" hours per year, this doesn't include luch or "study halls" just like the enginner doesn't get to bill his lunch hour) it works out to around $258 per billable hour. I realize that the teacher clearly doesn't see anything like $258 per hour worked, but the mechanic, accountant, or the engineer do not see anything like their billable hourly rate either. They all have to cover overhead, vacation, training hours and everything else in their billable hourly rates.

David Hall

Reply to
David Hall