What finish for oak floor?

Hi,

I've sanded down an oak board floor which has come up a treat. I know almost nothing about finishes though and wondered if anyone here could advise me.

I'd like a dull finish, or at least not shiny. Didn't really want wax or varnish as both can be slippery. It must be waterproof as it's a bathroom floor.

Thankyou,

David

Reply to
Dave

There's pretty much only one floor finish I use - Rustins' Floorcoat. It's a UK brand of an acid-cure formaldehyde resin, sold especially for floors. They also do "bar top", which is a heat resistant version. Other makers sell a similar product as "plastic coating".

Very quick to apply, and really fast drying (2 hours to walk-on or re-coat). Needs three coats for a floor with outdoor shoes, maybe two would do for a bathroom. Stinks when you apply it (I use a full-face mask to cover my eyes too), but this dissipates rapidly as it's a curing smell, not a solvent evaporating.

Rustins do a gloss or semi-matt.

If you want it really dull, apply it glossier and then dull it with pumice or 0000 wire wool. Inherently dull finishes are always a bit problematic.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Look at Bona Kemi Traffic. Comes in satin and semi-gloss. It is a water based finish. It is $70 - $100 US per gallon depending on where you buy. Recently did 4000 sq. feet of white oak and am very happy with the results.

Reply to
Mark Ellison

I found these on line. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the Bona Kemmi "Traffic." It is water based and easy to apply. No stink and very hard. Also very expensive!

Len

Absolute Coat> Hi,

Reply to
Leonard Lopez