distressed finish for newly sanded pine floor

We have just sanded down an old pine floor and want to create a beachy/distressed look. Please can someone recommend how to achieve this? (My understanding is that a thin white paint emulsion/water mix will do).

Will we need to seal the wood after applying this finish? If so, what would folks recommend to ensure that we keep the bleached look?

By the way, the space will be used as a living/work space, and will not get heavy wear.

Thanks Geraldine Cox

Reply to
coxgeraldine

Invite anyone you know with children under 5 over for the day.

Reply to
Peter Parry

you can liughten pine by mopping with with weak dilute bleach, but it'll only darken again over time.

Liming as you say can look nice, but I dont recommend it for floor use. Thin coatings take a lot of wear on wood floors, and when a different color to the wood, the wear shows badly.

A tough clear finish is the only thing I'd really recommend.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

A beachy look? Driftwood? No, you probably mean bleachy. I doubt if either hypochlorite or peroxide will significantly lighten newly sanded wood. If you want a white deposit in the grain, I'd use paint.

I think you'd be better thinning oil based gloss paint with white spirit. Emulsion paint is too dull for wash type finishes and will have no resistance to wear and tear.

I prefer an acid catalysed varnish. I think Rustins still do one. Very smelly and environmentally hostile but rock hard and crystal clear. The low odour acrylics don't perform as well but on the type of colour you envisage, it may not make any difference.

Reply to
Stuart Noble