woodworking with hand tools

Page 3 of 4
On 4/16/2014 11:01 PM, Swingman wrote:

many of the consequences of that condition.
The last couple of years have presented a lot of challenges, and a guy like me might tend to spend idle moments churning the permutations around in my head. Having a project in progress ("in progress" is a long-lasting condition for my projects) gives me something else for my brain to chew on, during my commute to work, for instance. I turn the pieces around in my head, reshape them, fit them together and mostly puzzle out how to turn those ideas into reality given my current limitations. Definitely an aid to good mental health.
On 4/18/2014 9:18 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Know the feeling all too well. My mind chews on a problem, and goes over and over possible solutions, like a dog on a bone ...even when I'm asleep.
Can't tell you how many times I've woken out of a sleep with solutions to a problem, or ways to do something, I'd been wrestling with the day before.
When I took an interest in computer programming in the late sixties there were no books at the bookstore, no online sources and you bascially had to puzzle things out yourself, sometimes by the brute force of trial and error.
The reward is coming up with an "elegant" solution, even though you might find out later that you rebuilt a wheel some Wizard came up with before ... than you can just say "Great minds ..." ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

On 4/18/2014 9:18 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

In woodworking one often gets greater satisfaction from how you did something than you get out of the actual piece itself.
This is especially true when devising jigs and fixtures to do something that no tool can do, and/or do it safely.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

get the holiday decorations out of the way ("squatters!"), things will be dandy! I think JOAT knew what he was talking about!
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:08:04 AM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

As woodchucker pointed out, it has a lot to do with having the right hand t ools. Same as with power woodworking. Right tool makes the job easier. U sing a scrub plane makes dimensioning boards fairly quick. Not as quick as with powered jointers and planers, but still fairly quick. Scrub planes r emove a lot of wood quickly. Whereas when you use a regular plane to remov e wood and dimension it, it takes a long time because regular planes cannot cut a lot of wood. Scrub planes are fun to use.
Dimensioning wood is not fun with hand tools. Its physically demanding wor k. Its not really skilled work. Its hard physical work. I think there ar e a fair number of handtool woodworkers who use machines to dimension the w ood. Joint, plane, rip. Then use handtools to final dimension, smooth, jo ints. Mix.
"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

I've done it... and still do at times. I also taught my sons, starting at about age 8, how to resaw, rip saw, crosscut, 4-square, and shoot with handtools... They understand the intent, purpose and process now rather than just know they have to shove a board through a machine.
In recent times they've been using my large stationary tools (bandsaw, jointer, thickness planer, table saw). This coming weekend my youngest will use the shaper for the first time to shape and mold using the template I recently mentioned in another thread. This would have happened last weekend but the rub collar I needed didn't show up until yesterday... I tested the set up last evening and it works like a charm.
It is satisfying and with small stock it is often the right way to go.
John
On 4/16/2014 11:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Not any more ... but, the ability to be able to do it, if it is the only way to get the job done ... Priceless. ;)

Luckily, both my grandfather's, and my Dad, were self reliant men in a self reliant culture, so I was blessed to have been exposed to the use of woodworking hand tools early in life. Mostly by my maternal grandfather who had a shop, sawmill, and built his farm buildings, home, and the furniture that went into it.
I wouldn't necessarily advocate that everyone start off with only hand tools in the 21 century, but skills, once learned to a level adequate for most jobs, tend to stick with you, and come in handy even though you may be rusty.
I recently installed crown, base and shoe mostly by hand (I did use a finish nail gun) in a bedroom remodel. Learned to cope inside miter joints when I was around ten, and here, 60 later, it's was like riding a bicycle. And, by being able to do so, I managed to save and reuse a quite a bit of trim that was no longer available in a house 90 years old; and a good deal of time to boot by not having to remove but one side of the trim on intersecting walls.
Basically, and though I have never even been anything but barely adequate with hand tools, I can't count the number of times what I did learn as a youngster has saved my bacon.
And ... I grew up in an age when there were actually SHOPS to be seen in public schools ... Man, have we lost an incalculable amount of desirable human traits, skills, and basic psychological/cultural health, in that regard.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/16/2014 4:57 PM, Swingman wrote:

I think this holds true with most anything and may be one of the reasons that some people have difficulty in learning to using computer drawing programs. Having a formally taught back ground in analog? drafting seemed to have helped me greatly 28 years ago when I first started using CAD programs.

On 4/16/2014 5:57 PM, Swingman wrote:

It is sad. You know theres a song, in the year 2525, ..... if you look it up, we are headed that way, useless ... just useless... no more arms, or legs.... just useless pieces of crap..
--
Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@none.com writes:

In the day, it was called an apprentice :-)
On 4/16/2014 12:08 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I don't know about others but I am quite happy just to get good Joinery by machine

Congratulations Billy boy ! You are even a bigger pussy than Leon ! ~g~ You wouldn't know a troll if it crawled up your vagina and set fire to your ovaries.
Good luck - let us all know how that kill-file works out for ya. John T.
--- ---

<HAR> That's just about the best definition of me that I've seen.

I'm glad that you did not take that the wrong way. I believe that we have been acquainted long enough on here that we intend no malice is in either direction.
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:24:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)

Sounds similar to my first shop teacher. He had us saw wood by hand until we almost had blisters and then taught us to use the table saw. His reasoning was we had to learn the basics before we went onto the advanced stuff.

And, from what I've read by a few other experienced woodworkers here, dovetail jigs are frequently a pain to setup properly.

The ridiculous thing about all of it is that now, some of the well paying, life supporting jobs are the plumber, electrician and similar type jobs. When I went to school, those were the lower tier jobs that the less motivated students were streamed into.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Schools don't get rewarded with tax money for successfully streaming students into those jobs. Now the schools don't even help students to prepare for those jobs. Community colleges have some programs, such as HVAC.

In the year 9595, I'm kinda wonderin' if Man is gonna be alive. He's taken everything this old Earth can give, and he ain't put back nothin'
Now it's been 10,000 years, Man has cried a billion tears, For what, he never knew. Now man's reign is through.
-- Zager & Evans, 1969
OBWW: Denny Zager now builds custom guitars in Lincon Nebraska.