Woodworking Message Board

Page 1 of 3
Hello all. Nobody here probably remembers me, however, I was quite active in rec.woodworking a few years back. Unfortunately, Roadrunner went and discontinued their usenet access leaving me high and dry. This seems to be the norm nowadays. I started thinking that I really miss the wreck and would love to particpate again. The problem is that it's a royal pain in the butt to access it anymore. I managed to hook up with a free service but, I've got to say, usenet is showing it's age.
What I'd like to to is to take down my woodworking site and change it over to a woodworking message board/forum. I'd want it to be as free and open as the Wreck is. There would be no ads and I'd keep graphics very light to make it easy on those with limited bandwidth. This is totally on my dime. I've already got the domain and I pay for the hosting with a few other sites that I have on my account. I'd only do this if I thought there would be enough interest from you folks. After all, it's no fun throwing a party if nobody comes. Well, the party's on me this time. If there's enough interest I could have the site up in a very short order.
Please comment here and let me know. I'm particularilly interested in hearing from the old farts that have been hanging out in the Wreck since the beginning of recorded history!
Thanks much, Jeff Picard
You can check out my old woodworking site at: http://sawdustcentral.com (this would become the new forum)
I also have a site devoted to odds and ends and silly stuff. If you're interested you can check that out here: http://jeffpicard.com
Please visit my website: http://jeffpicard.com

Nope, I don't have a clue who you are.

I signed up with Astraweb. That was simple.

Sign up with a news provider and it is easy. It is amazing the number of folks who think this is a big mystery and/or a difficult task.

As are we. Ain't nobody here 'cept us old farts.
And I like it just fine where I am, thank you.

So nice of you to make me feel so welcome Lee.
Jeff P. wrote:

Don't mind the ole farts. I mean you said it yourself,"ole farts". And you know how ole farts can be, arrogant, nasty, and stubborn asses. Like my sig says, you can lead an "old" horse to water but you can't make him drink. Also many here that don't remember you probably think this fits in the spam directory. Many here, have already tried woodworking forums and don't like the restrictions put on them. That Saw Mill Site comes to mind. Would rather have the freedom here of Off Topic and the occasional tilted vulgar humor. Try it at your own risk. Just my opinion and you know what they say about them....
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

The biggest problem for these "outside" boards is that it simply means that everyone has to follow two places, rather than one, to see all conversations. Most questions have to be posted and answered in both to make sure everybody gets them. It's just plain counter-productive to have multiple places carrying mostly redundabnt posts.
wrote

Besides that the "outside" boards might embarrass you by correcting your spelling. And some tend to snip posts and that just sucks.
Max (let it all hang out)

If you are that easily embarassed, or even worry about such things, maybe usenet is the wrong place for you.
wrote

Whooosh!! LOL
Max (wouldn't miss it for anything)

Well, you missed it this time.
There was no "whooosh"
wrote

Sigh..... At my age, Sonny, I can't think of anything that might be embarrassing to me. And as for "missing", I was referring to Usenet. It's almost as much fun as woodworking; I wouldn't miss it for anything. I do "worry" about poor spelling though. Some of the more recent graduates from our illustrious educational institutions can hardly spell their own names. By the way, have you ever heard of "Foghorn Leghorn"?
Max
"Max" wrote:

I'm convinced they can't and what is worse they don't care.

As in Looney Tunes fame?
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Yep. As in, "That's a joke, son, ah say, ah say, that's a joke".
The Salty Dog missed my "snerk".
Max
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:05:51 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

I've yet to see a web based forum or message board that is as easy as USENET to use. I can go through a bunch of newsgroups rather quickly as opposed to going to a different web page for each topic.
Do as you please, but I'm 99.9% sure I won't visit. I use Giganews.
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:59:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's what I was going to say :-). I'm switching from dialup to cable today, so I'll be searching for a news server as well. But I won't give up on Usenet. Where else but the wreck could I keep up on the latest far right fantasies :-).

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:59:36 -0500, the infamous Ed Pawlowski

Precisely. Why don't message boards mimic the known efficiency of Usenet on a local server, fer chrissake? They're all so bloody slow and redundant. I haven't seen one yet where you could simply jump from one message to the next without going back to the forum and looking at the next subject, etc. Ghastly slow.
--
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:00:32 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I wonder if some of the old Fido code is still around? That might do it.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:56:44 -0600, the infamous Larry Blanchard

RIME Rules, y'old farte!
--
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado

I have only been around for about 10 years so I probably do not qualify but I don't think you are going to get any serious commitments. If you want to do this, do it for your own pleasure with out expectations and you will not be disappointed. You are probably the 874,883,847 person to suggest this... ;~) If you build a good site it shoud work.
On Jan 25, 1:05am, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

"The problem is that it's a royal pain in the butt to access it anymore. "
This is similar to asking the fellas at the buffalo log to start meeting at your house because the drive is inconvenient for you.

"buffalo lodge" not log. <snicker>