Who remembers these ? ...

knew they weren't a figmet of my imagination

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Until the packaging was opened, I was expecting them to be chocolate cigarettes, rather than convention squares of chocolate in a cigarette-like box. I bet it took some effort in those days to animate the boxes "walking" along.

Reply to
NY

I loved them

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

OK found the chocolate and the silver walkie talkie under the floor just need to find the book with the time travelling children now and I will be happy ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Frightfully pohsh voice that says nessles not NessLay

No wonder us ruff types never got edufercated proper

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I thought it used to be 'nessels' but I wasn't sure if this was a colloquialism. Not my imagination then.

Reply to
Scott

+1

I don't recall seeing squares of chocolate in a cigarette-like box.

Reply to
Fredxx

It was definitely Nessels when they had their creamery here in Chippenham.

And I am sure that in the days of The Milky Bar Kid the TV adverts all use to say Nessels Milky Bar.

Reply to
gareth evans

"Nesslay's Milky Bars"...

...said no-one, ever, until the Swiss parent company started to get uppity.

Reply to
JNugent

Yes my recollection is that Nestlés' name (on Milky Bars etc) was pronounced Nessles in UK adverts until about 20 years ago when the correct French (Swiss-French) pronunciation made it to the adverts in the UK.

I wonder whether non-English speaking countries are as scrupulous about pronouncing English brand names correctly rather than using their own local written-to-spoken rules.

Another one is Volkswagen:

Voolkswaggon or Follksvargon?

I have heard quite a lot of people pronounce Seat (Spanish VW-owned car brand) as seet (as in something you sit on). Even I know it is Say-at. I presume that is based on Spanish pronunciation of this (in Spanish) made-up acronym from Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo.

Reply to
NY

I did not recognise the French car name the first time I encountered it in Scotland.

Pyoo-joe.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I believe Hyundai is supposed to be hee-un-dee.

And Toyota did not use the name MR2 in French-speaking markets :-) .

Reply to
Scott

:-)

There's a good argument to be made that SEAT should be pronounced "Ess Ee Ay Tee", just as we say "Bee Bee Sea" rather than "BuBaK".

Reply to
JNugent

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

But do you remember sweet cigarettes?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Very much so, as I thought I had said. White sticks with a dab of red and the 'hot' end.

Funny we don't seem them any more :-(

Reply to
Fredxx

You can still buy them, but there is no red end and they are not labelled as cigarettes.

I have a memory of chocolate ones being available at one time though.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why isn't the W in Daewoo usually pronounced? And why begin it with D when Koreans pronounce it starting T?

Reply to
Max Demian

wrapped in white rice paper...yummy

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Woss this? All you lot after your Junior Smokers Kit, eh, with liquorice dogends?

Reply to
Tim Streater